Smashing garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy a big jar of minced garlic at the grocery store. Lasts forever, and tastes just fine.

On my windowsill, I have fist sized rock, (fossiliferous chert, to be precise) that was chipped into shape by some ancient American. He or she probably used it to crack nuts or open bones to get the marrow, but I use it to smash my garlic cloves.

It just exactly fits my hand, with a nice flat spot on the bottom, and I feel a real connection to that ancient preparer-of-food when I use it. I found it in my garden, when I lived in Southern Indiana.
post-6472-127078007109.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I confess to sitting and smelling my fingers after I chop garlic, any fresh herbs and zesting lemons...I love the fresh smells.:w00t2:

LOL - I do this too.... I think we have some sort of neurotic disorder.. theres a name for it lol.

I don't like garlic presses because after the "squeeze", a lot of garlic flesh is left behind that you have to chop up anyway.

So I normally use the flat side of my knife on an unpeeled clove, peel it, & then chop or mince the clove. However, I also have a special little mandoline-type gadget specifically made for garlic that my mom gave me years ago (since I'm a hard-core garlic lover) that I ADORE!! One side has a grater; the other a super-thin slicer. I use it constantly. When I need really finely grated (or even juiced) or paper-thin slice garlic, this is THE tool.

I mouth an apology to my knife first, and then wham!

For our male members, DC has concocted a limited run of garlic scented shaving cream. You can PM one of our Moderators for a pre-order. Please specify gel or foam. :santa:

Last edited:
...For our male members, DC has concocted a limited run of garlic scented shaving cream...

I just rub a cut clove of fresh garlic behind each ear first thing in the morning. Of course, if you nick yourself, garlic scented shaving cream may be just the thing for men who have to shave in the presence of vampires.

On my windowsill, I have fist sized rock, (fossiliferous chert, to be precise) that was chipped into shape by some ancient American. He or she probably used it to crack nuts or open bones to get the marrow, but I use it to smash my garlic cloves.

It just exactly fits my hand, with a nice flat spot on the bottom, and I feel a real connection to that ancient preparer-of-food when I use it. I found it in my garden, when I lived in Southern Indiana.
post-6472-127078007109.jpg

That is so awesome! I'd love to find something so nifty! Mind you, I'd likely not recognize it if I did. But the thought is just awesome. I can imagine your connection with the person that used it so long ago!

I don't like garlic presses because after the "squeeze", a lot of garlic flesh is left behind that you have to chop up anyway.

So I normally use the flat side of my knife on an unpeeled clove, peel it, & then chop or mince the clove. However, I also have a special little mandoline-type gadget specifically made for garlic that my mom gave me years ago (since I'm a hard-core garlic lover) that I ADORE!! One side has a grater; the other a super-thin slicer. I use it constantly. When I need really finely grated (or even juiced) or paper-thin slice garlic, this is THE tool.

That sounds like a great gadget! Have you ever seen others like it?

Back
Top Bottom