"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smothered steak, assistance please.

I have a pice of thin cut sirloin steak, which I intend to season, dredge, skillet sear and finsh cook in oinion gravy. Would it be adviseable to tenderize (hammer) the steak first ?

Old 09-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Master Chef

If you are going to dredge it with seasoned flour I would hammer it then, to work the flour into the meat.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Master Chef

I agree that pounding it after dredging in egg wash and seasoned flour is the way to go. I use either this spring loaded veggie cutter that my granparents used when they were allive (1960's and 70's) or the heel of two knives so as to really break up the meat fibers. With Sirloin, you may not need to tenderize as much as with, say, a round steak, or brisket.

The flour should be seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic, IMHO.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Cook

We love this. To me the gravy is what makes it. Try onion/tomato gravy - yum! We use thin steak, cube steak, cube pork and most anything on sale. I sear it and then add it to the crock pot (with a liner) and cook for 4-5 hours. I never have tried tenderizing the meat. It usually is fall apart tender after its bath in the CP.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallard View Post
I have a pice of thin cut sirloin steak, which I intend to season, dredge, skillet sear and finsh cook in oinion gravy. Would it be adviseable to tenderize (hammer) the steak first ?
If your sirloin steak needs hammering you need to change your butcher (assuming sirloin in America is the same cut as in the UK).
Old 09-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
Sous Chef

How thin is thin? My dad used to think anything less than an inch thick steak was too thin.
That being said, I have found that if a steak is simmered in onion gravy, that might tenderize it like a Swiss steak.

Tags
other, steak