Sour Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 cup of milk and about 2 TBS of lime juice or white vinegar. That's how I've always done it. You will see it start to separate when you have enough acid in it. Give it a few minutes to sit though to really work!

Add a tablespoon of vinegar to each cup of milk and let it stand for a little bit....can replace buttermilk in recipes with that....at least that's my way! I bet there's others who do it differently here!

kitchenelf said:
1 cup of milk and about 2 TBS of lime juice or white vinegar. That's how I've always done it. You will see it start to separate when you have enough acid in it. Give it a few minutes to sit though to really work!

I was going to say leave it on the counter for a few days. Shows you I still have a ways to go in the culinary world:)

LOL gettingbetter - It would be "sour" just don't know if it would be useable! Usually about 20 minutes tops is all it takes if even that long.

When a recipe calls for buttermilk and you don't have any this is how you make it. I use it when I cook fried chicken or fried lobster chunks (dip in sour milk, dip in flour/cornstarch/garlic/s&p, back in sour milk or buttermilk then back in flour mixture - and for salad dressings calling for buttermilk and pretty much anything else that calls for only a bit of buttermilk - I will use this method instead of buying a whole container.

kitchenelf said:
When a recipe calls for buttermilk and you don't have any this is how you make it. I use it when I cook fried chicken or fried lobster chunks (dip in sour milk, dip in flour/cornstarch/garlic/s&p, back in sour milk or buttermilk then back in flour mixture - and for salad dressings calling for buttermilk and pretty much anything else that calls for only a bit of buttermilk - I will use this method instead of buying a whole container.

Well, I learned something today. Mission accomplished:chef:

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom