Squeezing the juice out of something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
Hi
at my bakery there's a pastry lady who makes zucchini bread or something with finely-grated zucchini. she seems to have to get a lot of the excess juice/water out of it somehow & she was just cupping her hands & squeezing it out that way which seemed to take a long time. she did the same thing with canned mooshed pineapple to get the excess juice out. she has strainers she has tried but they aren't fine enough. i wonder if anyone has any better ideas. i thought of getting two bowls, putting the grated zucchini in one of them then putting the other bowl on top & squeezing the bowls together with one hand on each side. something else i thought of would be to get a press like a garlic mincer which she could fill up with whatever she wanted to squeeze & just pull on the handle. can anyone think of anything better than those things.

Wrap the grated stuff in a towel--or cheesecloth--and twist to squeeze it. I make a vegetable spread that uses grated veggies and I put them in a sieve and press down on them to get the juice out.

salad spinner doesn't get rid of enough liquid. I start with that but almost always finish with an old tea towel. Cannot imagine being able to squeeze hard enough with my hands to get the level of liquid out that the towel removes. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom