Steak or Stake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andla

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I have some problem with words and would like to know when I write for example beef stake and when to write beef steak. I checked with google and google doesn't give any spelling correction so I suspect this depends on which country I target but I'm not sure.

Appreciate any advice on this subject.

Sincerely
Andla

I have never seen it written as stake. I only know it as steak.

A stake is a pointed piece of wood
Steak is a piece of beef (or sometimes other animal).

GB said:
I have never seen it written as stake. I only know it as steak.

A stake is a pointed piece of wood
Steak is a piece of beef (or sometimes other animal).
GB, you took the words out of my mouth!! Now I am left with no other alternative but to pull up my stakes from this thread and move on to greener pastures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I can't trust google for helping me spell correctly in the future :) .

My mis-stake

Andy M. said:
You can use this dictionary.
Yes, exactly. That dictionary or any others Google points you to. Just plug into Google search the word you want to check and the word "definition" -- in this case "steak definition" then "stake definition".

Andla said:
I guess I can't trust google for helping me spell correctly in the future :) .

My mis-stake
The problem is both spellings are correct - it depends on how you are using the word.

Katie E said:
So could my birth mother. You could shingle a roof with one of her cooked steaks.:yuk:
Oh, dear....

And, sadly, my father liked his with the "moo" just slapped out.
I'm with your father, LOL! I still have a weakness for completely raw beef even though these days that's a no-no. Gee, don't know how I've lived this long with all of the things I've eaten that should have killed me. ;)

I, too, love raw beef, and still eat it in spite of it now being a no-no. In my lifetime about a million foods have gone from being good for you to bad for you to killing you to healthy to .... well, I've just given up. Since I like a well rounded, basically healthy diet, I haven't eliminated much of anything, in spite of warnings. When there is a specific warning out (i.e, for awhile bagged spinach) I avoid that food for the specified time. But it seems from what I read, most problems seem to come about from eating at fast food places, which just aren't my thing anyway (when I eat out I want someone to wait on me and clean up after me and for there to be a nice atmosphere). So raw beef is still an occasional treat (usually when I'm cooking a particularly nice cut -- treat for the cook is a few slivers of it).

Andla, also beware of spell checks on the computer. A spell check would never pick up the difference between stake and steak because they are both valid English words. They don't correct usage.

Going back to the original question ...

A spell checker will only check the spelling of the word you used - it will not be able to tell you of you used the correct word. A spell checker would tell you is you spelled steak or stake correctly - but it wouldn't know if you used the correct word to denote a cut of meat or a stick. You'll have to use a dictionary to make sure you are using the correct word.

When it comes to determining if you have used the correct word, "spell chequers dew knot work wright".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom