Steak - turn once or turn many

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyjonny_uk

Senior Cook
I would love to know all your thoughts on this. When you cook your steak do you only turn it once or keep turning it many times?

Does it depend on what cut of meat your cooking?

I'm talking mainly about when frying an approx one inch thick piece of steak in the frying pan and I used to always keep turning many times but last time I cooked steak I tried to just cook on one side for five minutes and then just flip and the same the other side and then rest for five minutes and it seemed to be much more tender and juicier.

Would love to hear your thoughts?:)

Flip once is the conventional wisdom. It's also what I do with good results so I see no need to change.

The main thing is, you want to let it get nice and brown before flipping it. One time should do it. On occasion I have flipped it back to the original side to add a little brownness to it, but I usually just turn it once. :)

Flip once. I realize you asked specifically about cooking in a pan, but if you're cooking it on a grill, you can also add the following flourish: if you want those nice cross-hatch grill marks on the meat, pick up your steak and rotate it 90° halfway through cooking the first side (BEFORE flipping it). In other words, if you're cooking it 4 minutes per side, rotate the meat after 2 minutes. Let it cook another 2 minutes, and then flip it over. Note that you only need to worry about grill marks on the first side. You'll let the other side cook 4 minutes without touching it.

Also, let your steak to rest for 5-10 minutes under a foil tent before serving it. That will allow the juices to redistribute, so they don't all run out on the plate when you cut into it.

Last edited:
I think this is one of those rules that are more intended to prevent harmful behavior than because they make a great deal of difference. People tend to fiddle too much with meat, browning or grilling. If you tell them they can only turn it twice, they'll probably leave it alone, while rough handling will spoil the crust.

When they try to make a practical argument for turning only once, it runs along the line of one flip making it more crustier and multiple flips making it more evenly done through the interior. I've never seen that it makes that much difference. A little difference in the degree of progression of well done beneath the surface to rare in the middle doesn't really affect taste. But then, I like sear-roasting, putting the crust on it in a very hot pan and then putting the whole thing into a very hot (home hot -500F) oven to cook through without much more crusting. Wouldn't occur to me to flip them.

There are just so many more better ways to mess up a steak than turning it too many times, including not buying them thick enough for most home kitchens setups and not letting it warm to room temperature before cooking.

I only flip my steak once because if a side sees the heat again it is overcooked. I almost have the bounce-flip perfected.

This is where you toss it on the grill in such a way it hits, bounces and flips over to the other side. If you are really good you can get a second bounce straight onto the plate. :)

I only flip my steak once because if a side sees the heat again it is overcooked. I almost have the bounce-flip perfected.

This is where you toss it on the grill in such a way it hits, bounces and flips over to the other side. If you are really good you can get a second bounce straight onto the plate. :)

Sure you actually have to fire the grill for your steak?;) My father and oldest brother used to eat raw ground round sandwiches. Just couldn't bring myself to try it.

One flip for me, but don't forget the 1/4 turn for the grill marks!

Craig

I too adhere to the "turn once" principle, irrespective whether grill or pan. Additionally, I suggest you should turn to the second side a bit before the steak is half cooked, because the first side will continue to cook even when it's facing up, due to latent heat. I believe the pink in the middle will be better centered if you follow this advice.

In a pan I sometimes have to jiggle the meat a bit to keep it from sticking in my iron pan, but only enough to break loose the adherence.

I like grilled steaks to have crosshatching. Unlike Steve I prefer both sides to have grill marks. I'm sure it's reasonable that you're not going to see the under side of the steak (much) on your plate as you eat it, but I still want the marks there. Maybe it's just my personal quirk. I cook the first side about half way through that side's cooking time, rotate 90 degrees and complete the first side, then flip and repeat, turning 90 degrees at the mid point.

Sometimes I intentionally make the angle other than 90 degrees. Sometimes I just do it without the crosshatching at all. But I never flip a steak and then go back to the side already cooked. I think that toughens the steak.

I also go for cross-hatching on both sides.

Those grill marks add flavor. Think about it. Grill marks are sear marks. If you were pan searing, the entire surface would be covered with that searing. Sort of grill marks with all the in between parts grill marked as well.

That's a good point Andy, that the browning marks are flavor: Maillard reaction. The part of the steak that doesn't get scorched doesn't get it. An assumption here is that the increased total length of grill marks exceeds the browning to greater depth by not crosshatching. I have no idea if that is correct but I believe there can be no doubt that the browning marks are more than cosmetic in grilled steaks. That might be why I often pan sear steaks despite the fact that I enjoy grilling.

In a pan I sometimes have to jiggle the meat a bit to keep it from sticking in my iron pan

You're trying to turn it too soon, Greg. Or else the pan wasn't hot enough to begin with.

When searing meat, the pan should be screaming before you put the meat in. Soon as it's ready it will self-release.

No HF, I wasn't turning my steak. I was jiggling it, prying it up from the pan, just to prevent it from sticking to my cast iron skillet. I'm sure it was hot enough and maybe it was even too hot.

Maybe I'll try your advice some time and just leave it there, sticking and all. I'll be pretty disappointed if it won't come unstuck.

No HF, I wasn't turning my steak. I was jiggling it, prying it up from the pan, just to prevent it from sticking to my cast iron skillet. I'm sure it was hot enough and maybe it was even too hot.

Maybe I'll try your advice some time and just leave it there, sticking and all. I'll be pretty disappointed if it won't come unstuck.

HF has the process right. Proteins will initially stick to the pan then release when a crust has formed.

Flip once...definitely once.

GG - it should come unstuck with out a problem. I was skeptical at one time too but if you have patience it will let you know when it is time to turn.

Back
Top Bottom