"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Steak - turn once or turn many

I would love to know all your thoughts on this. When you cook your steak do you only turn it once or keep turning it many times?

Does it depend on what cut of meat your cooking?

I'm talking mainly about when frying an approx one inch thick piece of steak in the frying pan and I used to always keep turning many times but last time I cooked steak I tried to just cook on one side for five minutes and then just flip and the same the other side and then rest for five minutes and it seemed to be much more tender and juicier.

Would love to hear your thoughts?:)

Cooking With Passion Blog
jonnyjonny_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Assistant Cook
My husband is the griller around here, but he just flips once. :)

Wife to Chad & Mom to Asher
Galatians 2:20
wilkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Flip once is the conventional wisdom. It's also what I do with good results so I see no need to change.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon
The main thing is, you want to let it get nice and brown before flipping it. One time should do it. On occasion I have flipped it back to the original side to add a little brownness to it, but I usually just turn it once.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Flip once is the way to go. You don't want to be playing with steak.

With pan frying a steak that thick, usualy procedure is to sear it on both sides and finish in the oven.
Most people spoil garden things by over-boiling them... if they are overboiled they have neither any sweetness or beauty. Hannah Glasse 1745
HistoricFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Executive Chef
For Rare: Flip Once

Since I only eat my steak rare, one flip.

Margi. Cintrano.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Master Chef
once is enough.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Wine Guy
Flip once. I realize you asked specifically about cooking in a pan, but if you're cooking it on a grill, you can also add the following flourish: if you want those nice cross-hatch grill marks on the meat, pick up your steak and rotate it 90 halfway through cooking the first side (BEFORE flipping it). In other words, if you're cooking it 4 minutes per side, rotate the meat after 2 minutes. Let it cook another 2 minutes, and then flip it over. Note that you only need to worry about grill marks on the first side. You'll let the other side cook 4 minutes without touching it.

Also, let your steak to rest for 5-10 minutes under a foil tent before serving it. That will allow the juices to redistribute, so they don't all run out on the plate when you cut into it.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Only flip it once.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Head Chef
I think this is one of those rules that are more intended to prevent harmful behavior than because they make a great deal of difference. People tend to fiddle too much with meat, browning or grilling. If you tell them they can only turn it twice, they'll probably leave it alone, while rough handling will spoil the crust.

When they try to make a practical argument for turning only once, it runs along the line of one flip making it more crustier and multiple flips making it more evenly done through the interior. I've never seen that it makes that much difference. A little difference in the degree of progression of well done beneath the surface to rare in the middle doesn't really affect taste. But then, I like sear-roasting, putting the crust on it in a very hot pan and then putting the whole thing into a very hot (home hot -500F) oven to cook through without much more crusting. Wouldn't occur to me to flip them.

There are just so many more better ways to mess up a steak than turning it too many times, including not buying them thick enough for most home kitchens setups and not letting it warm to room temperature before cooking.

"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote

other, steak