"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 05-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I've been cooking since I was 11.

And stir frying IS a very healthy way to cook Asian-style dishes! Those pics are now making me want to stir fry a meal this week!!

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:05 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
MLB, I see you have used shiitake mushrooms. That's a real nice addition, gives the whole dish an exquisite flavour. If you can't find them fresh, dried version works, too, after soaking them for about half an hour. You can reserve the water to utilise it for risotto etc.

Personally my carrots go in first along with onions. They are pretty resistant to heat and takes a lot to get them to cook, so they also need to be sliced very, very thin with an extra sharp knife. (if your knife is short of extra sharp, they will fly all over the place!)

Broccoli are also tricky, I don't like them overcooked mush, nor semi-raw crunch. They need to be just at the right consistency. So I usually steam them first and add them at the last minute, just to coat the flavours.

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
WOW, everyone has been a huge help Thank you! My stir fry was a huge success, no leftovers for lunch even! It looked great, tasted even better! The meat wasn't dry and tough and the vegs, well they were perfect, crunchie, but still hot!

A huge thanx to everyone, will post my favorite stir-fry as I get better!

PS. They even ate ALL the rice!

tntsmom is offline   Reply With Quote