"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
I am actually pureeing the potatoes and mixing them with egg and flour to make a sort of batter. I thoght about using vinegar but won't it ruin the taste???

Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Put them in too and strain them when needed.

oops that in response to CharlieD

Old 12-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes
I am actually pureeing the potatoes and mixing them with egg and flour to make a sort of batter. I thoght about using vinegar but won't it ruin the taste???
Well .... now you add a new twist to the question ... and, yes, in that case the vinegar would alter the taste.

Make some mashed potatoes ... add your sautéed onions, eggs, flour, etc. ... make patties from them (1/4 - 1/2 inch thick) and fry 'em. This will not be a thin batter, like a pancake batter - they will be firm enough to form into patties.

That's the way my grandma always made them! Well, sometimes she included some sweet pickled red cabbage, sometimes some sauerkraut ...
Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I can't recall ever having my potatoes discolouring while making potato cakes, latkes or duchess potatoes. I think Charlie is right. Once you stick them in the pan, any discolouration, should it occur, is going to be lost in the colour provided by the pan. But if you are effectively coating the potato in batter, that is protecting the potato from the air anyway.

I think your concerns are not necessary.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

Listen folks, I've been making Latkes, for at least half of my adult life, and before that I was always helping my mother, even as a little kid, when she was making them. So, I’d say on the bad day, I have at least 40 years experience of making latkes (also that makes me old ). Not potato pancakes, but specifically latkes. And not somewhere else, but right in the hart of the birthplace of a latke – Ukraine. Please argue with me about anything else, prove me wrong if you wish, but Please, do not argue with me about latkes. As the matter of fact, I just made a huge badge last night for the First night of Chanukah and I promise you, they were great.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
Executive Chef

You can always use the cirus on a majority of the potatoes and make a seperate batch for the allergic one.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I can't imagine using citrus on potatoes. Just keep them in cold water until you are ready to use them. That's all you need. Once you start making your pancakes, no, you can't stop and wait until later. That's just the way the latke schmatke's.....
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #18
Head Chef

Toss in a bit of a crushed vitamin C tablet dissolved in water.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #19
Master Chef

Thing is you really should not add any water, as the matter of fact some recipe sugest to strain all the juices after potato is grating. i am against it, but that is already another thread. The thing is when you add water and the drain you will rince out all starches, and starch, IMHO is very important to making a good latke. it is so important that there are recipes out there that calls for adding some starch. i am agains that too, but that is another thread again.
All you need is a greated onion. i greated potato last night left it open seating on the counter, went and made tomato soup and potato barely got light brownish. Really.

And i still did not heare from the original poster, why is it so important for potato not to darken. After you fry the latkes they will be brown anyway. Well, golden brown.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Charlie and I have not always agreed on everything, but in this case I have to say I agree 100% with everything he has said.