Storing Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eriu

Assistant Cook
Hopefully, this is the right place to ask and it's not already been asked a zillion times..but...

Where is the best place to store garlic? I used to keep it in the fridge, then read where it's better to keep it just in a drawer. I buy it in bulk (coz I use a lot) and would like for it to keep a while.

What do you all do? Thanks in advance.

Eriu;
I buy the stuff by the boxcar load and just keep it in a small colander (you need airflow and the holes provide the right amount) on the dark side of my cabinet. I am able to keep it quite a while.

I store mine in a small basket with a paper towel inserted, on the kitchen counter. Lasts long enough for me to use up the three pound bag that Costco sells. I think that you need air, a dry spot that is fairly cool and out of direct sunlight. I have also hung it in my pantry in the mesh bag it comes in with good results, although it is messy and not as convenient.

I usually store the big batch hanging in a string bag in the garage. Inside I have a few heads in the veg drawers.

I used to have a garlic keeper - a pot with a lid and holes in the side - kept the garlic very well.

I ditto what everyone else says i.e., cool, dry, and with airflow....or cool as possible anyway. I keep mine in a terracotta garlic keeper in a dark corner on my counter.

Back
Top Bottom