Storing vanilla beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You must use a lot of extract :) I bet it smells so good! I planned on using vodka for that exact reason for my extract. Do you use expensive or cheap vodka? I hope you don't mind all of my questions.

Cheap works just great, no need for the expensive stuff. The vanilla seems to mellow out the vodka. After about a month the alcohol smell seems to go away and vanilla takes over.

Yup, I use more vanilla than the average person. Luckily the vanilla doesn't go bad so it can hang around for quite a while.

Dawgluver said:
Thinkin' the same thing...

It is a great deal! I got them today and you could smell the vanilla through the package. And now, my pantry smells like vanilla. I can't wait to use them! My husband bought two VBs from the grocery store (the exact kind I just bought) and they were $8. Thank goodness for this deal!

Christina1979 said:
It is a great deal! I got them today and you could smell the vanilla through the package. And now, my pantry smells like vanilla. I can't wait to use them! My husband bought two VBs from the grocery store (the exact kind I just bought) and they were $8. Thank goodness for this deal!

Thanks so much for the tip, Christina! Now we DCers will run Amazon out of VBs, and they'll wonder what happened....

I get mine from Amazon. My last ones were sold through Amazon, and fulfilled through the Arizona Vanilla Company, great quality product, so this is also a good seller through Amazon!

I buy mine from Arizona Vanilla. I get B grade beans, and make vanilla extract for Christmas presents for everyone. I think I got Bourbon beans the last time--I like them better than the Tahitian.

I bought a pound, and split them between 2 half gallon bottles. I bought cheap vodka to fill the bottles. I did not bother to split the beans--I just chopped them into 1 inch pieces. When this batch of vanilla is done, I will drain the beans, and cover them with vodka for another batch of vanilla.

I also put a bean into a big container of Demarara (sugar in the raw) crystals. Great to top sugar cookies. And probably good in coffee, but I don't drink coffee!

I've heard that grade B is best for extract, I'll have to look and see if I can find grade B next time in Mexican beans.

I found them on Amazon for less than $30. The company is Spice World.There's between 50-70 in bag. It's such a great deal!

That is a great tip! I paid five bucks for just two of them on iGourmet.com. Clearly it pays to shop around!

Back
Top Bottom