"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 10-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Storing vanilla beans

I just ordered a half pound bag of vanilla beans. I've read to wrap them in saran wrap or wax paper (loosely or tightly wrapped?) and place them in an air tight container to make sure they stay fresh. Is this correct? Any extra advice would be appreciated, i'm new to the vanilla world :) Oh also, I've heard you can reuse them over and over, once they're used in a liquid, how do you store them so that you're able to keep using them?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

The seeds are what I've seen people using. I put a whole bean in with sugar to make vanilla sugar...2 beans to a quart of vodka to make vanilla-infused vodka. I've added more vodka to the bottle and it doesn't seem to matter. I keep them in a ziplock bag if I'm not using them. Which reminds me, I have three floating around here that I got from The Spice House in September...

Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina1979
I just ordered a half pound bag of vanilla beans. I've read to wrap them in saran wrap or wax paper (loosely or tightly wrapped?) and place them in an air tight container to make sure they stay fresh. Is this correct? Any extra advice would be appreciated, i'm new to the vanilla world :) Oh also, I've heard you can reuse them over and over, once they're used in a liquid, how do you store them so that you're able to keep using them?
Welcome to DC!

Where did you find a half pound of vanilla beans to order? Sounds wonderful!

Penzey's has their VBs stored in alcohol, maybe rum or vodka in a small bottle. I used some of their Madagascar, and was surprised to find a whole VB in the bottle!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I found them on Amazon for less than $30. The company is Spice World.There's between 50-70 in bag. It's such a great deal! I plan to make my own vanilla extract, vanilla coffee, and vanilla sugar, etc. I also just started making my own homemade ice cream so i'll be using these over and over.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! What kind of VB are they? I find the madagascar are a bit sticky and not ideal for adding to sugar to make vanilla sugar...those I put in vodka to infuse it, but I've been meaning to put one in a smaller bottle to make my own vanilla "extract".
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

The ones I bought are Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans. I read all the reviews and they were highly recommended. I just received them today and you could smell the vanilla through the packaging. I can't wait to use them!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Half Baked

Looks like a good deal and free shipping. HMMMMM!!!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina1979 View Post
This is correct. I wrap them in plastic wrap, and store them in an airtight jar. The instructions that came with them (I order from Beanilla), also said to air them out for about 15 minutes every now and then.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Amazon is an excellent place for beans. I bought a dozen Mexican vanilla beans a couple months ago to make extract. Madagascar seem to be less expensive than Mexican. I've used both and love them. I prefer Mexican slightly.

When I just need a couple beans, I go to World Market/Cost Plus they are usually $2.99 for 2 beans.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

MERSTAR: I heard the same thing about airing them out every couple weeks for 10-15mins.

I've never heard of Mexican vanilla beans. I may have to try them next.