"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Stove settings

Is there such a setting or heat setting called high medium heat? Or is it just only low, medium,high and medium low, medium high and high? No high medium or anything high.... Thanks.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I have three settings between my high and medium settings. So I can choose full high, high, medium high, and low high. The same with my medium and low settings.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Medium/High Heat - Resource - Smart Kitchen | Online Cooking School
Old 06-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

High medium or medium high is just the point on the knob part way between medium and high. If your burner knob is numbered from 1 to 10 (for example), medium is 5. Medium low is between 1 and 5. Medium high is between 5 and 10.

We've had this discussion before. The proper setting for the burner is where you get the cooking results you require. Remember the "simmer" discussion.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Addie.. U said medium high for your three high heat settings. When u say medium high is that the same when some one say medium high heat....I was thinking that would be between medium and high Wouldn't for high be called high medium heat?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Stove

Why is it medium high would be a range of numbers5-10 and medium low 1-5? And medium a 5. Thanks
Old 06-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

If the burner knob is numbeerd from 1-10, 5 is half way so that would be medium. Numbers higher than 5 would be hotter, heading towards high around 9 and 10. The numbers lower than 5 would be cooler, heading towards low around 1 or 2.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Ok ..but if its heading say to the higher mark is there special names these settings called? Or lower ?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If the burner knob is numbeerd from 1-10, 5 is half way so that would be medium. Numbers higher than 5 would be hotter, heading towards high around 9 and 10. The numbers lower than 5 would be cooler, heading towards low around 1 or 2.
Well, you're actually heading towards high the moment the knob leaves 5 for a higher number. You don't need the knob to be 9 or 10 to be heading towards high, but you are closer to high at 9 than say... 8 or 7.
And conversely, as soon as the knob leaves 5 on it's way to a lower number you are heading towards low, even before reaching 1 or 2, but of course if the knob is at 1 you have reached low, completing bypassing medium/low and low/medium. And at the opposite end once the knob reaches 10 you are at high. Unless you turn the knob too far and turn the burner off.
And as Forest Gump would say, And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
Ok ..but if its heading say to the higher mark is there special names these settings called? Or lower ?
In between medium and high is medium high.

In between medium and low is medium low.

YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR JUDGEMENT. BASE THE KNOB SETTING ON WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN IN THE PAN, NOT WHAT WORDS DESCRIBE THE SETTING.

If you want a full rolling boil, any setting that gives you a full rolling boil is fine. If you want a simmer, any setting that gives you a simmer is fine.

Because every stove is different, you have to go by the result rather than the setting name. If the person writing the recipe used a professional stove and you are cooking on a home stove, the settings could very well be different. It also depends on the size and shape of the pan and how much food is in it. Bigger flat pans need a higher heat to accomplish the same result you get at a lower setting for a smaller pan.

Tags
stove