Sugar Differences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phexchanger

Assistant Cook
What's the difference between the following sugars? Can I use them in place of each other?

1. Caster sugar
2. Icing sugar
3. Powdered sugar

Thanks for the info. :chef:

Caster sugar is a more finely ground version of granulated sugar. It's easier melting in cold drinks. Caster sugar is what it is called in the UK. In the USA we call it superfine sugar.

Icing sugar (UK) is the same as confectioners or powdered sugar (USA). These contain cornstarch along with very finely ground sugar.

I want to make a marzipan and the ingredients include 110g caster sugar and 110g icing sugar. I already have powdered sugar or as you say, same as the icing sugar. But, I can't find a caster sugar.

Another chocolate cake recipe also included a caster and icing sugar.

Will it be OK to use the regular refined white sugar instead of the caster sugar?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I want to make a marzipan and the ingredients include 110g caster sugar and 110g icing sugar. I already have powdered sugar or as you say, same as the icing sugar. But, I can't find a caster sugar.

Another chocolate cake recipe also included a caster and icing sugar.

Will it be OK to use the regular refined white sugar instead of the caster sugar?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Process some regular granulated sugar in a blender or food processor to make it superfine/caster sugar. Measure for the recipe after processing.

or cheat and measure Before ;)

100g is 100g no mater what form it is, and table sugar is loads easier to handle than icing sugar.

Andy, I`m the same too, I always make my own, I don`t see the sense in paying extra for the same material when it`s so easy to do it yourself.

or cheat and measure Before ;)

100g is 100g no mater what form it is, and table sugar is loads easier to handle than icing sugar.

Andy, I`m the same too, I always make my own, I don`t see the sense in paying extra for the same material when it`s so easy to do it yourself.

You're right, YT. I missed that the recipe was giving measurements by weight. I'm mentally mired in the US system of measuring by volume.

Since I have not gone any formal training, I want to have the right information before I start measuring my ingredients and the information you provided will be a big help. Thanks again.

Castor's sugar is also called "Fruit Sugar", although I've never figured out why...so you might find it under that name. check out: Redpath Sugar > Our Products

It's the 2nd from the top. Ever since I bought it once, I see it everywhere :-p

Mike

It's called fruit sugar as it dissolves more quickly because of its fine grain size. It also works well in cold drinks like iced tea and cofffee.

Back
Top Bottom