Sun dried tomato question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But the sun dried tomatoes are still tomato bits, right?

I use oil packed sun dried tomatoes in some of my cooking. I drain them. I haven't noticed any "sulfate" taste. Maybe I'm just coarse.

Oh yeah, there are pieces of sundried tomatoes.

There might not be any sulfite or sufate in your sundried tomatoes. I don't know if I would taste it in sundried tomatoes, but I sure as heck taste it in "Realemon".

Some people are sensitized to sulfites and can experience anaphylactic shock. It is in their best interest that they are able to taste it immediately upon ingesting. Those who have any reaction quickly learn to distinguish the taste of sulfites in their food.

My sun dried tomatoes are from Trader Joe's: sun dried Roma tomatoes, pure olive oil, herbs, spices, sulfur oxide (for color retention). Made in shared equipment used with tree nuts, milk, wheat and soy.

Yep, no ground nuts (no peanuts there) and no sulfites. (Is there a tongue in cheek emoticon?) Well it hasn't killed me yet. If I were to avoid all sulfites (and all fried foods) I would probably be eating a drastically different diet.

If you made a list of everything to avoid you would probably end up consuming only water.

p.s. I'd be happy enough if TJ's left out the sulfites "for color retention" and give me grey tomatoes.

i've bought plain sun dried tomatoes (not in oil, no preservatives added) that were in a ziplock bag. so long as all of the air is squeezed out and the bag sealed after each use, they lasted months in the fridge and were still leathery/soft enough to use months later.

i guess they were acidic enough and dry enough so that they didn't spoil even sealed in plastic in the fridge.

I'll stick 'em in an airtight plastic bag this time and see how it goes. I always thought the tubs closed up airtight, 'cause you gotta fight 'em to get them open. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom