Technical question - what is the name of this technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice, informative post, Seven. However, although you may not puree the vegetables to make sofrito, it's a very common technique when you want your final sauce to be smooth, rather than chunky. I usually make my sofrito in advance and store it in small batches in the freezer to use as needed. When I do, I always puree my vegetables.

When I did a Google search, these were the first two recipes I found, both pureed:
Sofrito - Allrecipes
Basic Sofrito Recipe

As noted in both recipes, the sofrito isn't cooked until you use it. It's simply processed and frozen in its raw state.

I agree with you that a "sofrito" in spanish MAY indeed be pureed (and indeed may be stored prior to being sauteed)... I am saying that most often (I grew up in Latin America) I have seen it chopped by hand across households. But what I am mostly addressing in my post is the original post which asks "What is the name of this technique" and then goes on to explain the entire MOP (puree veggies, brown them to a "crud" forms, scrape it up and allow it to form again before deglazing) of the technique he is seeking to define, which is where I disagree that the entire process he relates can be defined as "sofrito".

Back
Top Bottom