Technique for freezing bulk chicken breasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
boneless skinless chicken breasts.
i want to freeze them individually.
MY THING IS THAT i do not want freezer bite on them!!! <:-I
thanks!!!

Freezer burn comes from air in the package. So do not freeze them in the store packaging. Wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap then place them on a cookie sheet or half sheet pan and freeze them solid. After they are frozen, place the individually wrapped breasts into a ziploc freezer bag for storage.

You can also buy individually vacuum packed boneless skinless breasts at the store but they will be more expensive.

Freezer burn comes from air in the package. So do not freeze them in the store packaging. Wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap then place them on a cookie sheet or half sheet pan and freeze them solid. After they are frozen, place the individually wrapped breasts into a ziploc freezer bag for storage.

You can also buy individually vacuum packed boneless skinless breasts at the store but they will be more expensive.

/thread.

You can also buy individually vacuum packed boneless skinless breasts at the store but they will be more expensive.[/QUOTE]

yea, i usually get those or the smaller package still that is not indiv wrapped, but i decided to get bulk and save. iv never been big on freezing, but need to start learning...bulk saves :)

Invest in a good quality vacuum sealer. Boneless skinless breasts last for months.
Well worth the investment!
Only drawback is that the bags are more expensive. You can probably wash and reuse, I've never tried it.

Place each breast into a pint freezer bag...Fill a gallon bag with ever how many it will hold......They will be individually frozen...and double bagged.

Fun!

Invest in a good quality vacuum sealer. Boneless skinless breasts last for months.
Well worth the investment!
Only drawback is that the bags are more expensive. You can probably wash and reuse, I've never tried it.

Yes you can. Just wash them very well with hot soapy water and let dry.

I use mine to vacuum seal leftover. I use those trays that mico-meals come in, put in the left overs and vacuum seal. They freeze very well that way.

I use the individually wrapped method. Nice and tight with no air. Then I pack them in another bag and squeeze out as much air as I can. Then I twist the bag closed and tie it tight with a twist tie. When ready to use, you may need to give the bundle a good whack against the counter to loosen the frozen breasts. I take out what I need and reseal the bag.

that is how i do it. but just wrap and put into bag, label and freeze. works well for my meals for one person. :cool:

that is how i do it. but just wrap and put into bag, label and freeze. works well for my meals for one person. :cool:

If you freeze the breasts separately, they will freeze faster than if they are all together in a bag. Faster freezing is better for food quality.

Me too. I get a 10# bag of chicken legs for $5 or $6. I separate the thighs and package separately, I put drumsticks in a sandwich size bag until it's full. All in dinner size packs.

I once had a roommate who "helpfully" put the entire 10# bag in the freezer. I didn't notice it until I had a 10# block of ice to thaw before I could process it. :mad:

I always separate my meats into portion size packages first, that way I don't have to thaw more than I need.

Vac seals are great but always pat dry or the excess water will form ice crystals and make them get frostbite faster.

Me too. I get a 10# bag of chicken legs for $5 or $6. I separate the thighs and package separately, I put drumsticks in a sandwich size bag until it's full. All in dinner size packs.

I once had a roommate who "helpfully" put the entire 10# bag in the freezer. I didn't notice it until I had a 10# block of ice to thaw before I could process it. :mad:

I always separate my meats into portion size packages first, that way I don't have to thaw more than I need.

What Zhizara said... Buy in bulk, separate into what you would cook for a single meal, wrap in plastic wrap.

I freeze on a cookie sheet, no plastic, just until1/2 frozen and glazed over. then put directly into a frezzer ziplock bag, seal up all but little hol, and press out air, then seal up all the way. I have never got burn on them this way. and no extra plastic or waiting for defrost to unwrap. nor do they stick together because of pre freeze!

I do exactly as Andy said. After they are frozen I then put the portions in a vacuum bag and seal them up. I tried it one time without freezing the portions individually first and they froze together in the vacuum bag, but not quite as bad as if they weren't wrapped at all.

Violette, that's how I do whole chicken wings. I never keep them more than a few weeks though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom