Technique of using a honing steel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
When watching chefs use a honing steel it always seems that they hold the steel sticking up and then pull the knife down towards them. I know there is a guard on most steels, but isn't it dangerous to pull a knife down towards you? The way I do it is by holding the steel pointing down and away from me and I pull the knife in the same direction (down and away). I guess my way could be considered dangerous, especially in a commercial kitchen where there are a lot of people around you. Since I cook in my own personal kitchen I use this technique.

I am curious to hear from other people how they do it and their thoughts on drawing a blade towards you even if there is a guard.

Michael in FtW's Thread made me think of this.

Last edited:
I hold the steel horizontally in front of me. I back hone, pulling the blade away from the steel handle to the tip then hone by slicing towards the handle. I haven't cut anything off yet.

There's more than one way to skin a cat...

I mostly drag the edge of the blade *both up and down the instrument* in alternating motions.

The majority of my strokes are nevertheless towards the tip because the protection around the handle leaves me a little sceptical.

I think it is good to press down as you pass the blade across, and to do so diagonally so as to sharpen all the different parts of the blade.

Best regards,
Alex R.

I've always been leary about using these. I have watched my dad thru out the years, but me and knives, well anything sharp dont get along to well. Great tips guys, if I ever need to (I bought a SAFE on for me) I can now refer here!

Maybe it's me (well even my friends) haven't used a stick in many, many years? I guess it really depends on the way you do your initial sharpening to how often you hone (or wet stone in my case). When i did however, i did drag toward my arm, but there was a disk at the top of my hand that was built in.

BBQ Fish said:
I guess it really depends on the way you do your initial sharpening to how often you hone (or wet stone in my case).
Don't forget that sharpening (whet stone) and honing are completely different things. You should really hone your knife every single time you use it regardless of how sharp it is or how it was sharpened.

GB:

I agree. It's part of my routine - wash, dry, steel and hang (magnetic strip on the wall).

I too reset the edge by holding the steel up and drawing the blade towards me.

Several years ago I read a pamphlet from some manufacturer that said to stand the steel point down on the cutting board and draw the blade down the steel to the board. Alternating each side is a necessity. This method I taught my kids.

I think the safe method is way too time consuming so I stay with the up in the air method. I really don't see it as un-safe.

Edit: It is necessary to reset the edge with nearly every use so if you want to use your knife at its best, pick a method and use it often. Unless I get sloppy/lazy I hone as I put the knife away.

Last edited:
Robt said:
Several years ago I read a pamphlet from some manufacturer that said to stand the steel point down on the cutting board and draw the blade down the steel to the board.
Yeah that is exactly how I learned as well. Once I became comfortable with the motion I did not need to put it on the cutting board anymore, but continued the same motions.

GB said:
Don't forget that sharpening (whet stone) and honing are completely different things. You should really hone your knife every single time you use it regardless of how sharp it is or how it was sharpened.

I as well hone all my knives with wet stones and/or leather? And i know this is way on the other side of the spectrum but i as well never hone my machining tools everytime before i use them, because i don't need to, nor do my colleagues. I haven't practiced honing more than i should, which i know there will be many different views on the 'right and wrong' way to do things but this method works for me, and has for 10+ years now. However, my theory toward sharpening/honing is.......if it aint broke, don't fix it, don't try to over fix it, and let it tell you what needs to be done.
Meaning: If it's making a different sound, feeling different, or preforming different, then you go in and make changes, and why waste your time, if it doesn't need to be done?

Not a stupid question at all.

Honing conditions the blade. I always have a hard time explaining this clearly without props so hopefully someone else will jump in and do a better job than me, but basically...
With us, your blade will sort of bend over on itself. Honing straightens it out again. It does not have anything to do with how sharp the blade is. Picture a piece of paper. The edge of the paper is the edge of your blade. Now picture the paper sort of folding a little. It is still just as sharp as before, but it is not aligned right. Honing will realign it so that the edge in not folded over on itself.

BBQ Fish said:
I as well hone all my knives with wet stones and/or leather? And i know this is way on the other side of the spectrum but i as well never hone my machining tools everytime before i use them, because i don't need to, nor do my colleagues. I haven't practiced honing more than i should, which i know there will be many different views on the 'right and wrong' way to do things but this method works for me, and has for 10+ years now. However, my theory toward sharpening/honing is.......if it aint broke, don't fix it, don't try to over fix it, and let it tell you what needs to be done.
Meaning: If it's making a different sound, feeling different, or preforming different, then you go in and make changes, and why waste your time, if it doesn't need to be done?
Like you said, if it works for you then don't fix it.

tancowgirl2000 said:
k guys stupid question....why should you hone anyhoo?

Not a stupid question.

If you can picture the blade of a knife, you see that it is thicker at the top and thinner at the bottom (cutting edge). In fact, if you could look at a cross-section under a microscope, you would see that the very edge is thinner than a piece of paper-perhaps only one molecue thick at the very edge.

As you cut, slice and chop, that thinnest part gets bent out of shape and can even curl over, making the knife less sharp.

Using a steel to hone your blade acts to realign that bent over part of the edge so it's straight and back in line.

This action helps keep the knife sharp but doesn't sharpen it. Sharpening requires the use of other tools that grind steel off the edge of the knife, forming a new sharp, thin edge.

I hope that was clear.

tancowgirl2000 said:
k guys stupid question....why should you hone anyhoo?

The only stupid question is the one unasked.:)

Depending on what type of things you cut and how you use your knives, (even on what type of surface you cut on) can hinder how often a 'peening', 'rolled' or even a 'burr' effect happens to your blade edge. Inevitably, it's a natural occurance, upon which honing, lapping, or conditioning (which means basically the same thing) takes the edge off the crooked angle, and puts it back to an angle perpendicular with your knife.
Without honing your knife, you may be able to push through what it is you are trying to cut, but the difference is with a fine honed edge though, you have the ability to let your knife glide through what you are cutting, with minimal effort and fatigue.

I know this may be slightly technical, but in essence, it should be done! Although how often, or your preferred method, is solely up to you and/or how you were taught.

Another way to do it is to place the steel tip down onto a non-skid surface such as a rubber mat or even a small wet dish towel. Hold the steel straight up vertically, then run the knife downwards along both sides of the steel.

Not only is a steal used to realign the edge of a blade but also to give it a type of serrated edge.

If you look at the blade (I'm talking microscope here) the edge actually has a serrated edge to it with lots of little 'nicks' in the blade. After use these get worn down, the use of a steel straigtens the edge and recreates these little nicks in the blade, restoring its cutting power.

Just remember using a steel isn't enough since the very tip of the blade begins to go round rather than retain that wedge shape. The use of a sharpening stone roughly once a month restores this shape by grinding away the 'roundness'.

So basically all thaose dang times that I figured i needed to sharpen my blade I really didnt have to...is that what it comes down to. Thanks for helping me guys, ill think next time I actually "think" I have to sharpen....hmmmm....what information!!

For those who may want to follow this subject away from its initial safety issues to sharpening and STEELing this is interesting:

This tutorial and the discussion that followed are really a great read.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to say....
Dont mistake honing your knife and sharpening . There is no mistaking a knife that needs to be sharpened on a stone (jap. whet stones). You should be able to cut a tomato and any direction with any part of the blade, with out appling pressure. That is a sharp blade. If you have to do more the 3 or 4 passes on your steel, you need to sharpen your blade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom