"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 05-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Its not the price difference, the idea is to buy one gallon of whole milk then add a gallon of water to it, thus giving you two gallons of milk that is thinner than whole milk and thicker than skim. Probably close to your 1% or 2% milk.
We pay $2.70 for whole milk right now at ALDI, so that works out to $1.35 per gallon when watered down.

But then you're geting half milk with half the nutritional value and half the flavor.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Its not the price difference, the idea is to buy one gallon of whole milk then add a gallon of water to it, thus giving you two gallons of milk that is thinner than whole milk and thicker than skim. Probably close to your 1% or 2% milk.
We pay $2.70 for whole milk right now at ALDI, so that works out to $1.35 per gallon when watered down.
Wouldn't you have to mix a gallon of skim milk and a gallon of whole milk to get your 1% to 2% milk? I'm having trouble with the logic here, my brain is not coming up with the answer, but adding water to a product and expecting the water to enhance anything is not ringing true for me. Andy is correct, you are reducing the nutritive value by 50%. Just not sure that adding 1 gallon of water to one gallon of milk is cost effective, or nutritionally adequate, or something? I guess since milk is about 88% water to begin with, I can't see adding any more water to it!.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272
There have been two posts dismissing this idea out of hand, but someone correct me if I am wrong. Whole milk is 3.25% butterfat, so if you retained one half and mixed the other with water 1:1 then you would have half a gallon that is still at 3.25% and one gallon that is 1.625% butterfat. So Maverick is right about percentages. So the only problem remaining are the vitamins and other things in milk. This method only really stands up if whole milk has more (by percentage) of the vitamins, etc. then its lower butterfat counterparts. I don't know if it does or not.

-Josh hart
Old 05-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_swinehart View Post
There have been two posts dismissing this idea out of hand, but someone correct me if I am wrong. Whole milk is 3.25% butterfat, so if you retained one half and mixed the other with water 1:1 then you would have half a gallon that is still at 3.25% and one gallon that is 1.625% butterfat. So Maverick is right about percentages. So the only problem remaining are the vitamins and other things in milk. This method only really stands up if whole milk has more (by percentage) of the vitamins, etc. then its lower butterfat counterparts. I don't know if it does or not.

-Josh hart
Your math is correct regarding the fat content. My point was that diluting milk with water costs you half the nutritional value of the milk.

Milk producers reduce the fat content without diluting the rest of the product.

For future reference, here is a list of the fat content of some common milks and creams:

Heavy cream has a milk fat content of between 36 and 40%
Light whipping cream, 30 to 36%
Light cream (also called coffee or table cream) 18 to 30%
Half and half is 10 to 12% milk fat.
Whole Milk is 3.7% milk fat.
Then there are 2% and 1% milks and...
Skim, which must be less than 0.5% milk fat.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_swinehart View Post

-Josh hart
I can answer your question regarding the different milks (whole vs 1%) and the vitamin and mineral content. There is negligible difference in the vitamin, mineral and other components of milk, among the different fat levels of milk. In fact, there are slightly more vitamins and minerals in 1% butterfat milk than whole milk. That is because the fat is displaced by more whey in the lower butterfat milks, and the whey is where the vitamins and minerals are. So the only difference in the milks are the butterfat levels, not the vitamin and mineral levels.

And I do not follow this sentence..

Whole milk is 3.25% butterfat, so if you retained one half and mixed the other with water 1:1 then you would have half a gallon that is still at 3.25% and one gallon that is 1.625% butterfat.

Do you mean 1/2 gallon that is 1.625%?

Did I answer your question?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I can answer your question regarding the different milks (whole vs 1%) and the vitamin and mineral content. There is negligible difference in the vitamin, mineral and other components of milk, among the different fat levels of milk. In fact, there are slightly more vitamins and minerals in 1% butterfat milk than whole milk. That is because the fat is displaced by more whey in the lower butterfat milks, and the whey is where the vitamins and minerals are. So the only difference in the milks are the butterfat levels, not the vitamin and mineral levels.

And I do not follow this sentence..

Whole milk is 3.25% butterfat, so if you retained one half and mixed the other with water 1:1 then you would have half a gallon that is still at 3.25% and one gallon that is 1.625% butterfat.

Do you mean 1/2 gallon that is 1.625%?

Did I answer your question?
You answered my vitamin/nutrient question but my volume and percent butterfat math does seem to be correct.

1 gallon whole milk < 1/2 gallon whole milk + (1/2 gallon whole milk + 1/2 gallon water) = 1/2 gallon whole milk + 1 gallon Frankenmilk (1.625% butterfat)

Ok I agree with you on the vitamins/nutrients.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #37
Master Chef

Not to mention you reduce the hormones by half....

The point is you are saving money by doubling your milk. Considering the amount of milk the kids get these days, thats not a bad thing at all.
And they get plenty of vitamins and nutrients from other sources as well, so reducing by half causes no harm at all. Taste wise it doesn't taste any different to us then 1% or 2% and is still better tasting to us than skim.