"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen

Not from me. Done it too. And DH is a water conservation freak--as we all should be. Common sense takes over in these cases.
I'm quite sure you didn't intend to give the impression that people who do use running water (the FDA approved method of thawing outside the fridge, by the way) lacked common sense.
I agree water should not be wasted, but wouldn't risk a salmonella outbreak because of that.
It would be more prudent and make more sense to plan far enough in advance to be able to safely thaw the turkey ( or any item) in the refrigerator, or drop it in a brine. Since we all know a year in advance when Thanksgiving is, it would appear simple to thaw correctly.

I'm not trying to rain on your turkey, but I found the sentence a bit short on sensitivity.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #22
Master Chef

I put a frozen chicken in the fridge 24 hours ago. It isn't even slightly thawed. I could use it as a deadly weapon to bludgeon someone with. Needless to say, even left on the counter, it wouldn't be ready for dinner tonight. I doubt, in the fridge, it would be ready for monday. I want to eat it tomorrow. So it'll get a few hours on the counter until it at least doesn't feel like a rock. If it isn't ready for dinner tomorrow, it will get the cold water bath.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #23
Everymom

Claire, it will thaw faster in a cold brine than on the counter. Give it a go.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I'm quite sure you didn't intend to give the impression that people who do use running water (the FDA approved method of thawing outside the fridge, by the way) lacked common sense.
I agree water should not be wasted, but wouldn't risk a salmonella outbreak because of that.
It would be more prudent and make more sense to plan far enough in advance to be able to safely thaw the turkey ( or any item) in the refrigerator, or drop it in a brine. Since we all know a year in advance when Thanksgiving is, it would appear simple to thaw correctly.

I'm not trying to rain on your turkey, but I found the sentence a bit short on sensitivity.
You are entirely correct--I did NOT mean to malign anyone else's common sense nor refer to anyone else's. I was referring to my own common sense, for which I alone am responsible. I am glad you helped me clarify that.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:

Interesting, I thaw my fish fillets in ice water before slicing them however my designated health inspector informs me that they prefer food to be thawed in a microwave. It is impossible to get a large fillet in a m/oven so I'll keep doing it my way, but, he was referring to all food stuffs. Another requirement is that if the temperature of the product goes above 4C I must keep a log book for how long until the product is cooked. I'm personally not fussed on thawing raw food in a microwave, but that is just me, I guess there's probably nothing wrong with doing it that way if it's going to be cooked immediately
Old 11-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #26
Master Chef

I've never purchased thin fish fillets frozen, but have purchased both tuna & swordfish vacuum-packed that way. They thaw very nicely in the microwave, & depending on your microwave & timing, don't "cook" at the edges at all - you just need to do a little trial & error.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Fridge?..no. Two days. My wife and I have very busy schedules, so I'll take something out and put it in the sink overnight, then the fridge while I'm at work. Or if its a chicken or roast, I'll just put it in the sink while I'm at work.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by attie
Interesting, I thaw my fish fillets in ice water before slicing them however my designated health inspector informs me that they prefer food to be thawed in a microwave. It is impossible to get a large fillet in a m/oven so I'll keep doing it my way, but, he was referring to all food stuffs. Another requirement is that if the temperature of the product goes above 4C I must keep a log book for how long until the product is cooked. I'm personally not fussed on thawing raw food in a microwave, but that is just me, I guess there's probably nothing wrong with doing it that way if it's going to be cooked immediately
It could be that he prefers the microwave over the 'standing water' you are using. If the water is running down a drain, there is no chance for microorganisms to multiply.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

At "The Cruise Inn" in Palmetto FL. we would put fresh fish filets in heavy stackable plastic bins(with no cover on) about 12"x18"x6". Just covering the top surface of the filets with water and put them in the walk-in freezer, openly spaced for quick freezing. On Monday we would pull out the tubs required for Friday and set them in the walk-in cooler. By Friday afternoon the filets were 95+% thawed, but due to the slow thaw the filets were in beautiful condition. 4 days to thaw vs. quick thaw meant the difference between selling quality fish vs. mush. Realize also that there are large fans in walk-in coolers to circulate the air for more uniform cooling(and thawing).
The point is, the slower you can thaw a product, the closer it will be to the one you froze. If it means putting it in the fridge on Monday for the Friday night roast, you'll be glad you did!

ENJOY! ~Chef Brian~ Chef Brian's Cooking Tips
Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
It could be that he prefers the microwave over the 'standing water' you are using. If the water is running down a drain, there is no chance for microorganisms to multiply.
I wouldn't thaw unwrapped fish myself--so that shouldn't be a problem of standing in water if it was changed. Fish fillets the size we usually get are not any real problem to thaw.