Thawing Meat In The Fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
Has anyone EVER put a frozen piece of meat in the refrigerator to thaw it for the next day - and it thawed?

In my experience it works with fish, but not beef, poultry, lamb, pork etc. Shoot, I've put a turkey in 3 days ahead of time and the darned thing was still partially frozen.

Ground beef thaws in one day. Everything else, forget it. My trick is to start thawing in cold water, then toss in the fridge when my finger sinks in a bit. That usually works for most stuff. NOT turkey though. I just toss that in the brine partially frozen.

Half Baked said:
Has anyone EVER put a frozen piece of meat in the refrigerator to thaw it for the next day - and it thawed?

In my experience it works with fish, but not beef, poultry, lamb, pork etc. Shoot, I've put a turkey in 3 days ahead of time and the darned thing was still partially frozen.
...and not even with fish if the fillets are thick!

I try to do what Alix does, but usually my procedure goes in reverse. I'll take it out of the freezer in the morning before I leave the house, and when I get home, I'll finish defrosting it under cold running water.

I'd forgotten how long it takes a turkey to thaw. I haven't bought one frozen in years.

Gretchen said:
Just a note to self. Start thawing the T'giving turkey a week before.

It ALWAYS seems to take longer than you figure. The thaw timing on the package is rubbish.

I know that it isn't the accepted way, but I've found that leaving something -- especially a bird -- on the counter for a few hours, then refrigerating speeds the process and is safer than the alternative of leaving meat on the counter in the last stages. I nuke when I have to, but prefer not to. I've never had turkey thaw in the times recommended. I've bought birds a week in advance and still had to muscle frozen innards out of them. BTW, I've been cooking Turkey dinners for freinds for over 30 years and never even given anyone a belly ache. And yes, when you do have to speed the process, cold water (salt it if you wish and you'll do some brining along the way) in a very clean sink is the way to speed the process.

the ice bath method works wonders! i thawed a completely frozed, 4lb chuck/pot roast in less than 5 hours!!

Never - not even with fish or ground meat. I don't even bother anymore. For the last several years we've been buying our organic free-range Thanksgiving turkey fresh, so no worries there. But as far as everything else goes, I begin defrosting something like a duck, goose, or chicken out on my counter & then move it back into the fridge (while the meat is still ice cold). Everything else gets defrosted in the microwave right before cooking.

Water is a precious commodity, & I don't have the time to spend a week defrosting a chicken in the fridge. And yes, I'm aware of all the people who are going to jump up & scream about food safety, but I'm one of those people whose been doing it this way for over 30 years without a problem, so I'm not about to change now.

ChefJune said:
...and not even with fish if the fillets are thick!

I try to do what Alix does, but usually my procedure goes in reverse. I'll take it out of the freezer in the morning before I leave the house, and when I get home, I'll finish defrosting it under cold running water.

I'd forgotten how long it takes a turkey to thaw. I haven't bought one frozen in years.

It's my opinion that it takes 10 days to 2 weeks to thaw a 20 pound turkey in the fridge:wacko:. There has got to be something in the makeup that makes a frozen turkey more solid than the iceberg that did the Titanic in! I start mine under running water and then toss it into the brine.

VeraBlue said:
It's my opinion that it takes 10 days to 2 weeks to thaw a 20 pound turkey in the fridge:wacko:. There has got to be something in the makeup that makes a frozen turkey more solid than the iceberg that did the Titanic in! I start mine under running water and then toss it into the brine.

Boy, truer words were never spoken. What container do you use for a 20lb turkey? My stockpot is what I thaw/brine mine in, but it will only hold about a 15lb bird MAX!

That reminds me of a joke too. I'll have to see if I can find it to post it.

Several years ago, I bought a set of 4 stainless steel stock pots - 8, 12, 16 & 20 quart sizes. I paid $20. for all 4 with lids. They are as thin as paper and beginning to pit but I have found so many uses for them it's surprising.

One of them is the brining container for a turkey. I used another to make corned beef. The 20-qt. size usually ends up as my chicken stock pot because I accumulate too many bones to fit in a smaller pot.

I thought I was the only one putting a partly frozen turkey into the brine. I never have had one thaw in time. I brine mine in this huge plastic tub that I use to wash vegtables in the summer.

Well, in the grocery store this morning, I came up with what I am cooking for Thanksgiving!! I am not going to battle with a frozen turkey and since the oldest daughter is going to try to come that day, I am going to make a giant pot of gumbo!!!!! I can freeze leftovers that I don't send home with her; she is all for it as she hasn't had any of my gumbo for a couple of years. I have never had a turkey thaw all the way by the time that I want to get it in the oven. If I get one for Christmas (that depends on if any the the kids will be here), I already know that it will be a small one-set in the fridge at least a week before!!!

Alix said:
Boy, truer words were never spoken. What container do you use for a 20lb turkey? My stockpot is what I thaw/brine mine in, but it will only hold about a 15lb bird MAX!

Use a cooler? You can get food grade plastic bags now that are that big--ZipLoc makes them. Put in bag. Put ice bags on top for cooling. I am sure you are thawing before brining.

And yes, I'm aware of all the people who are going to jump up & scream about food safety, but I'm one of those people whose been doing it this way for over 30 years without a problem, so I'm not about to change now

Not from me. Done it too. And DH is a water conservation freak--as we all should be. Common sense takes over in these cases.

Alix said:

I have a gigantic stock pot that can hold up to a 22# turkey. I usually use the pot to make gallons of sunday gravy, or I fill it with beer and soak corn, still in the husks.

Back
Top Bottom