The Mexican Cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mexican mama

Senior Cook
I have been wondering on my roots. Even thought my ancestors came from Mexico I am Americanize in terms of my cooking. Still, i remember my mamita cooking us authentic Mexican food. The tamales and tacos every sunday, as well as the special tres leches for special occasions. The mexican way of cooking is quiet unique and yet it has evolved.
Grilling, On the Stove, Sweating and Desflemar are the ways Mexican food is prepared. The color, the taste, the smell and the traditions have stuck through the test of time. I remember when i was young my mamita used to make tamales by grinding dried corn using a molcajete, it took time to produce the tamales and we wait in anticipation. but with the modern convenience at our grasp we can buy masa in the grocery store. I am now trying to learn how to cook mexican food, it keeps me in touch with ny roots and i must admit its one of the tastiest cuisine out there.:ROFLMAO:

share your Mexican experience here with me.

Welcome to the site. We are very happy you joined us.

I love Mexican food. I love both the authentic (what little I have had) and the Americanized versions. I bought a tortilla press a number of years ago and made my own tortillas. They tasted so much better than the store bought ones of course.

I think eating in Mexico would be one of the great joys of my life when that does happen.

What is Desflemar? I am unfamiliar with that term.

We really enjoy Mexican food also although what we have probably isn't the true examples. My grandmother used to make tamales and we loved them. I don't have an ounce of Mexican blood, but could live on that food. I always enjoyed the program with the Mexican lady - Diana something - . She made the real stuff and I would love to have tasted lots of what she made. I hope someone remembers who she is so I can google and see something bout her.
I know you will enjoy the site - there is so much to explore and I really have to limit my time or I'd be trying everything.

During my time in the Marianna Islands in the central pacific, I remember that they were heavily influenced by 400 years of Spanish rule and trade. While not Mexican, of course, they do share similar ethnic traits and customs. One of them is each village has its own patron saint, and they celebrate the birthday of that saint with a fiesta once per year. Picnic tables and grills are set out in the front yard along with trash cans full of ice and canned drinks, both soda and beer. Every house had something to contribute to the fiesta as you would wander up and down the streets until someone motioned you to come over and join them. Friendships developed on the spot, and great food was shared by all!

The specifics of the food I've long forgotten, but the treasure of that time I still possess - the simpatico and memories of the gracious people I met!

Mexican Mama, Mexican food is one of the great fusion foods of the world. You have Spanish influence along with the Native Indian ingredients and methods. Then you have the surprise influences form the Middle East ect. (tacos arabes).

Then Mexico also has many different regional styles of cooking. I think a person could go to Mexico eat something different every day and never run out of things to try.

I don't have a drop of Mexican blood in me either but I have been blessed with Mexican and other Hispanic freinds throughout my lifetime. Some of them great cooks, other great eaters! I have learned many techniques from them and adapted some of my own. One of my daughters old boyfreinds who was of Mexican heritage said my burritos were the best he ever had. My freind at work showed me how to make tamales - which I could live on -really!
There are a lot of other non-traditional Mexican foods that we could never enjoy unless we visited the region from which they are from.
I love Rick Bayless but I would love to see a Mexican person in the role of a famous Mexican chef.

hello

Welcome to the site. We are very happy you joined us.

I love Mexican food. I love both the authentic (what little I have had) and the Americanized versions. I bought a tortilla press a number of years ago and made my own tortillas. They tasted so much better than the store bought ones of course.

I think eating in Mexico would be one of the great joys of my life when that does happen.

What is Desflemar? I am unfamiliar with that term.

Hi, i agree with u, a hoem-made tortilla is the best and I too have a tortilla press at home, 2 actually got a new one for my birthday..here is a more extensive explanation of Desflemar. hope this helps:rolleyes::chef:

Desflemar: To Neutralize by Soaking This refers to taking the "bite" out of a hot fresh chile, or even a strong onion, by soaking in a solution of water with either vinegar or salt, both of which draw out the heat. If handling a fresh chile causes either coughing or watery eyes, this is a good indication that the chile will be quite hot, and soaking for one-half to one hour will help to neutralize it. Fresh jalapeños being prepared for stuffing may be soaked overnight in milk after being seeded. that is according to mexconnect.com:mrgreen:

hello

We really enjoy Mexican food also although what we have probably isn't the true examples. My grandmother used to make tamales and we loved them. I don't have an ounce of Mexican blood, but could live on that food. I always enjoyed the program with the Mexican lady - Diana something - . She made the real stuff and I would love to have tasted lots of what she made. I hope someone remembers who she is so I can google and see something bout her.
I know you will enjoy the site - there is so much to explore and I really have to limit my time or I'd be trying everything.

I could live on tamales too...mexican cooking is really easy ang global. I think the woman your refering to is Diana Kennedy,she wrote the popular book The Cuisines of Mexico which I have. She really knows MExican cuisine.:ROFLMAO:

Im with u on that

I don't have a drop of Mexican blood in me either but I have been blessed with Mexican and other Hispanic freinds throughout my lifetime. Some of them great cooks, other great eaters! I have learned many techniques from them and adapted some of my own. One of my daughters old boyfreinds who was of Mexican heritage said my burritos were the best he ever had. My freind at work showed me how to make tamales - which I could live on -really!
There are a lot of other non-traditional Mexican foods that we could never enjoy unless we visited the region from which they are from.
I love Rick Bayless but I would love to see a Mexican person in the role of a famous Mexican chef.

Yep, i agree,.,u dont have to have Mexican blood for u to cook a mean MExican cuisine..I do too hope a Mexican would rise up to the challenge and be as famous as Bayless and Diane Kennedy. The cuisine has really gone global...went home to the Philippines and found a really great chimachaga/taco place..:ROFLMAO:

great info

Mexican Mama, Mexican food is one of the great fusion foods of the world. You have Spanish influence along with the Native Indian ingredients and methods. Then you have the surprise influences form the Middle East ect. (tacos arabes).

Then Mexico also has many different regional styles of cooking. I think a person could go to Mexico eat something different every day and never run out of things to try.

Yep, great fusion cuisine, i might add Asia on the list..:chef:

here is a more extensive explanation of Desflemar. hope this helps:rolleyes::chef:

Desflemar: To Neutralize by Soaking This refers to taking the "bite" out of a hot fresh chile, or even a strong onion, by soaking in a solution of water with either vinegar or salt, both of which draw out the heat. If handling a fresh chile causes either coughing or watery eyes, this is a good indication that the chile will be quite hot, and soaking for one-half to one hour will help to neutralize it. Fresh jalapeños being prepared for stuffing may be soaked overnight in milk after being seeded. that is according to mexconnect.com:mrgreen:
Thanks. I have heard of the technique, but never knew the name for it.

I think REAL Mexican food is one the world's great cuisines. Most Americans know little about it beyond Taco Bell, which is a shame. I look forward to trying some of your recipes.

hooray for Mexican food

I think REAL Mexican food is one the world's great cuisines. Most Americans know little about it beyond Taco Bell, which is a shame. I look forward to trying some of your recipes.

I completely agree with u,.,.there is nothing like the real thing...if u have nay recipe request just reply to this post.,..looking forward to sharing recipes with y'all:chef:

Love Mexican food!

My fondest memories of my three vacation trips to Mexico City and Guadalajara was the wonderful food.

A dear friend of mine is Hispanic and I just love all the Mexican foods that she has prepared over the years.

I have several Mexican cookbooks so I have made a few Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes.

Mexican and Italian are my favorite cuisines.

:chef:

cook books

My fondest memories of my three vacation trips to Mexico City and Guadalajara was the wonderful food.

A dear friend of mine is Hispanic and I just love all the Mexican foods that she has prepared over the years.

I have several Mexican cookbooks so I have made a few Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes.

Mexican and Italian are my favorite cuisines.

:chef:

I have a few Mexican cookbooks here..one if from Diana Kennedy...it helped me a lot:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom