Thinning out gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I made chicken friend steak with gravy (first time) for dinner last night. I was in a rush to get dinner on the table and because of that I was not paying super close attention to what I was doing.

My gravy ended up way too thick (I did not use enough milk). Now i do not mind gravy that you can eat with chopsticks, but others might. My question is can I take the leftover gravy and put it back in a pan (it has been in the fridge since yesterday) and add more milk to thin it out or am I stuck with this consistency?

Absolutly! I would use either more milk, or perhaps some chicken broth. Just add things slowly as not to end up with it being too loose. Quick and easy fix, no worries.

GB said:
... can I take the leftover gravy and put it back in a pan (it has been in the fridge since yesterday) and add more milk to thin it out ...

One sure can, but You shouldn't. Mixing milk and meat, big no-no GB :rolleyes:

( okay we really need a wink here)

Only if one is following Kosher rules CharlieD - lol - otherwise, no problem.

That said, if I were you GB, I'd gently heat the gravy & thin it with chicken broth. I've had this problem before, & regardless of the type of sauce/gravy, chicken broth has worked every time. I always have a few cartons of it on hand.

Thanks everyone! That is what I was guessing, but wasn't sure if there was any reason it might not work. I will give that a shot when I get home.

Charlie, one of my daughters favorite things to eat right now is hotdogs and she washes it doen with milk. My mom has the hardest time giving that to her, but does it anyway.

GB, grandmas, what wouldn't they do for grand children, oy... Tell her it's okay, tell her she need not warry about.

BreezyCooking said:
- otherwise, no problem.

Well, actually it is a problem if you talk to a Good doctor nowaday, he/she will tell you tha tmixing milk and meat is not good for your health.

CharlieD said:
GB, grandmas, what wouldn't they do for grand children, oy... Tell her it's okay, tell her she need not warry about.
One look at the joy on that little girls face and all worry goes out the window :)

As others have said, it will certainly work. I am off the chop sticks gravy camp (aka, I like thick gravy) too, but in times when I know others won`t share my love of jell-o jiggler-like gravy, I`ve thinned it down with stock, milk and even white wine. Personally I love the taste of milk in gravy, but again not everyone does so if you have any on hand, using stock might be the best route to go :)

Mixing milk and meat not allowed. Please. Yes, thin your gravy--you might want to do it with water even.

If milk mixed with meat is a No-NO.
Please tell me how to make Sasuage gravy?
I think it was called SOS in the Navy, when made with ground beef!

The other one that comes to mind is chipped (dried) beef gravy.

Enjoy,
Charlie

Last edited:
Sausage gravy is made with milk and I see that all over the place. I don't understand the problem. I've never heard of anyone getting sick from eating it.

Constance said:
I know mixing dairy with meat is not kosher, but that isn't a problem for me.
I drink milk with all my meals.

Are you saying that you know that you supposed to keep kosher but ignore it, or are you saying that kosher doesn't apply to you and thus you can drink milk with meat? Did not quite understand what you were saying.

Back
Top Bottom