Tip for grating orange zest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bglewis

Assistant Cook
My mother-in-law passed this tip to me. When you peel an orange, put the peel in a zip-lock bag and store in the freezer. Take out what you need and grate on a micro-plane without thawing. Easy and handy.

thats such a fab idea i cut my hand over holidays trying to grate some orange zest into my mince pies!

I once watched a chef zest an orange and I quite liked his technique. He lay the peeled skin flat on the board (orange side down, pith up) and slid the knife through it, seperating the zest from the pith in no time. Then after this you could use it however you like, sliced thinly to look almost grated, or however you'd like it!

What else can you use as zest aside from lemon, lime, orange.. will any citrus work like a grapefruit?
And can you store any of the rinds in the freezer or does that only work with certain ones?

What else can you use as zest aside from lemon, lime, orange.. will any citrus work like a grapefruit?
And can you store any of the rinds in the freezer or does that only work with certain ones?

Any citrus will work Maverick. Pommelo, Ugly Fruit, Tangerine, Clementine...the list goes on.

Back
Top Bottom