Tips for cooking rice in microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shagufta

Assistant Cook
Purchase minute rice. Put equal parts of rice and water in a glass casserole or dish (with lid). One cup of rice and one cup of water feeds two people. Multiply recipe for additional servings. Stir and cover. Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Remove from microwave. Stir. Replace cover. Let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.

I always cook rice in my microwave, shagufta, but I love plain old regular long-grain.

One cup of rice to TWO cups of water, for regular rice, and a dash of salt. I have an old microwave, so mine takes longer, probably, than most. Nuke on HIGH for 5 minutes and on MEDIUM for 11 and 1/2 minutes, in a covered tupperware container.

Perfect every time!

Lee

Perfect rice everytime

I always make rice in a std. 2qt. microwave safe glass dish with lid and I use Uncle Ben's regular rice. (Costco - Sam's) Make it as you would on top of the stove 1 cup rice - 2 cups water - salt - butter. Put lid on and place in the microwave. Microwave on high for 4 minutes and 20 minutes at 4 (40%)power most all microwaves let you put both times in at the same time. On the Kitchen Aid it is: Time - Cookpower -(key in add'l time) - cookpower 4 - start. On the Kenmore it's very simular except you hit the Auto Cook button.
Perfect every time.

Buy a rice cooker. They are failsafe (as long as you can read and follw directions), and it frees up your microwave and your stovetop for other things.

I prefer the stove top method.

One cup rice, two cups water, several turns of the pepper mill, sometimes a tablespoon of butter. Place all in sauce pan, cover tightly, bring to boil quickly. Reduce heat to low simmer, still covered, set timer for 14 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with fork.

I haven't ruined any rice since I've been adhering to this method.

(When I used to have a rice cooker for the microwave, I always used this method, but my roomie moved out and took it. I just never bought myself one, plus my microwave is old and heats unevenly and I don't feel like replacing it just yet.)

I haven't had rice in a while..... probably because I was always blowing the lid off my bowl and having to clean the microwave :mad: but it always came out well.

Back
Top Bottom