Tips for opening jars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Real good shake is right, Z. Just a couple back and forths won't do it when it comes to the mustard. Nothing worse then turning the bottle over, giving a squeeze, and getting that watery mess where you least want it. eww

I use my Mom's old trick of bashing around the jar lid with a silverware knife handle. Just be careful it doesn't chip the jar. Rubber round things, keep several in the silverware drawer. They also work well for emergency drain stoppers. Hot water and broccoli bands. An old beer can opener. Pipe wrench with rubber band.

It sux getting older!

Last edited:
I use my Mom's old trick of bashing around the jar lid with a silverware knife handle. Just be careful it doesn't chip the jar. Rubber round things, keep several in the silverware drawer. They also work well for emergency drain stoppers. Hot water and broccoli bands. An old beer can opener. Pipe wrench with rubber band.

It sux getting older!

M mom used to do that all the time. I have resorted to it as well occasionally.

Kayelle said:
I was a counter banger till I broke a tile. :mad:

If all else fails, I now take it out to the concrete driveway.

My silicone hot pad most often does the job.

Rofl! Kay, concrete should do the job! ;-)

I use the butter knife handle trick, or hot water or rubber disc. I find that age has robbed my hands of a lot of strength and arthritis makes gripping painful. Getting old is a PIA!

I have a trick that is always very good in opening any jar. I rotate the lid quickly on the flame of the stove, especially at the junction between the lid and the jar. Then I try to open it while holding a dry towel because the lid will be hot, and it opens very easy. I have a friend who uses the thin tip end of a knife and places it just under the lid to allow the air to enter in between the lid and the jar. But I don't prefer this way because I think the knife could slip on your hands very easily.

...I have a friend who uses the thin tip end of a knife and places it just under the lid to allow the air to enter in between the lid and the jar. But I don't prefer this way because I think the knife could slip on your hands very easily.

Not to mention the tip of the knife could break off.

I don't know the name of the tool, but it's used for removing oil filters from cars. That's what my grandma uses. It will get the lid off ANY jar, no matter how tight. Bugs me that I can't remember what it's called...

Oil Filter wrench.

BTW, the title of this thread reminds me, I never got a tip for opening a jar.

Oil Filter wrench.

BTW, the title of this thread reminds me, I never got a tip for opening a jar.

That what I always called it.
Of course, it's only going to work as well as the other hand holding the jar, so you might as well use two of them and work in opposite directions ;)

I guess I am the impatient kind. I normally thrust the heel of my French knife to pierce the lid and the air escape. Jar opens like extra-smooth peanut butter every time.

Our biggest problem is plastic Hellmann's Mayo jars. No matter how careful we are in resealing the jar after use, the lids seem to self-tighten in the fridge between uses to the point where even I have to make an effort to open the jar.

Try putting that big, foil covered seal inside the cap before you put the lid back on. Of course, now you'll have to wait until you buy a new jar.

Back
Top Bottom