Top, bottom or both heating elements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I always use both heating elements in my ovens but is there ever a time when only using one would be better? If so, when, and which element?

I am assuming that your stove is electric. I utilize both only for preheating. Then I turn my selection knob to bake. By using both for baking, you are allowing the top of whatever you are making to get baked long before the rest of your food is ready. The top element is for broiling meats and preheating.

When a recipe calls for preheating the oven to a certain temperature, that is the only time you use both. Using both will not cook your food any faster. And it could be disastrous to your recipe. Specially when baking cakes. The top element is cooking the top of the cake before it even has had a chance to rise evenly. And it is a wasteful use of energy. :angel:

You are welcome. Just remember to use both elements only for preheating. Using that top element is most likely why you were having a problem with your cake. It was baking the top of your cake before it had a chance to rise and bake inside in a normal way.

When your recipe says "Prheat oven to 350ºF. that is when you use both elements. Once the oven reaches the right temperature, use only the bottom element and shut the top element off. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom