"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Exclamation Roasting Multiple Top Sirloin Roasts

Hi folks,

I'm cooking my first top sirloin for 15 people tomorrow, and honestly, I'm a lot nervous. I put in an order for 10 pound roast, and I thought I was getting a round roast (which I'm used to cooking), but what I got were 3 separate Top Sirloin roasts, each over 3 pounds. My first thought is "oh god, what can I do with three roasts!?"

So, my idea is to rub them down with savory and delectable herbal rubs, but can I cook them all at once? My dinner party is at 6:00 pm PST tomorrow, so I'm a little, no - a lot, freaked out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

And happy holidays. :)

Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Yes, you can roast them all at once. It's key to have the roasts a couple of inches apart and away from the oven walls so the hot air can circulate freely. This ensures even cooking.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thank you for your quick response! Does this affect cooking time then? For instance, one 3 pounder will cook for about an hour, but if I do all 3 at the same time, do I need to do it for 3 hours?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
Head Chef

Cooking time will be affected vs 1 3 lb or 1 10 lb roast. I'll offer the same advice as in a recent previous post.

If you have no experience in roasting this particular cut of meat, have 15 hungry guests coming for dinner, and want to increase my odds of all turning out well, I would get a outside reading probe thermometer and use it.

One other thing, if I ordered a large roast and got three small ones, I would think about changing butchers.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Cooking time will be affected vs 1 3 lb or 1 10 lb roast. I'll offer the same advice as in a recent previous post.

If you have no experience in roasting this particular cut of meat, have 15 hungry guests coming for dinner, and want to increase my odds of all turning out well, I would get a outside reading probe thermometer and use it.

One other thing, if I ordered a large roast and got three small ones, I would think about changing butchers.
Hi....I cook many roasts....I am cooking a top sirloin roast as I write this. I have found that i have the best results by doing the following...
I sear the roast at 500 degrees for 20 minutes. then, I lower the temp to 250 degrees and cook for 2 - 3 hours...this is for a 5 lb roast. It will melt in your mouth. (medium rare)