"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Can you really taste the egg in that much of the other stuff? Wow. You must Really hate the egg. The way I see it you have too much meat for that little egg. If you really hate the unborn chicken that bad try to add some corn or potato starch, say a tablespoon or so to begin with.
I am famous for being able to detect egg in things. Even the smallest amount. It really does not agree with me for some reason. My body screams bloody murder when egg is around

Hmm I had not thought of adding corn or potato starch. I could certainly give that a shot.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #12
Executive Chef

6oz would be about 3/4 of a cup.

Maybe try some tomato paste/ketchup instead of the egg, if you think you have enough bread.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainee
Maybe try some tomato paste/ketchup instead of the egg.
I will give that a shot or maybe I will mix in some of the BBQ sauce that I used as the glaze. Great idea!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
... I pulsed it in the food processor ...

I know some people will disagree with me, but in my book to grind meat in the food processor is simply wrong. The only way to do it is a meat grinder. But thatís just me.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:36 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

GB:

Here's my $0.02 worth.

I use 2/3 cup of bread crumbs for a 2 pound meatloaf and one egg. A single egg should be adequate for up to 2 pounds.

I also process my veggies in the FP to a very fine grind to release their flavors and to make them disappear in the finished product.

The texture of the meat may have contributed to the problem. Store ground meat is fairly finely ground. The ten pulses routine AB uses seems to be too coarse for my liking.

In general, I think chunkier items won't stick together as well as finer textured items.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:49 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

The suggestion for cornstarch or potato starch is what I would try.

Just my two cents worth :)

Sara

"Cheese makes life worth living." - me
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:22 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I would be very curious to hear about the results using corn starch. Somehow I don't think it would work. I would say that fresh bread crumbs mixed with the egg may be a better route. Or better yet use just egg whites....say from 3-4 eggs? Or 2 large eggs but not XL.

Just sitting and thinking......if you did a slurry of starch and water mixed with the crumbs and egg may work well...but a starch alone wouldn't work. It needs the water to work.

Let us know what happens
Old 03-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz
.. It needs the water to work...
It really doesn't, there is plenty of mosture in the mixture. Plus, i'm not sugesting to remove the egg, i'm sugeting to add to existing mixture.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #19
Master Chef

This is AB's recipe, which got pretty nice reviews.

I'm with Marm (again) in thinking that there may not be enough egg. That's a lot of meat for only one egg. Next time you make it, try whisking up two eggs and then adding 3/4 or so of that, so that it's 1 1/2 eggs. I might use more crumbs, too.

My second thought is .... it's bad to "overhandle" the meat when making meatloaf, but you do need to pack it in fairly firmly.

Third thought. You need to let the meatloaf "rest" for a while before cutting it or it will def. fall apart.

Fourth thought. The texture of meat broken down in a food processor will be different than regular store grind ... wondering if that made a diff. You'll only tell by using store bought or buying a grinder for your kitchenaid.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Use fresh bread cut into small cubes, or fresh breadcrumbs. Because the croutons are so dry, they will not soak up the moisture generated when you bake the meatloaf. Because of this, there is probably an abundance of moisture in the loaf, and it cannot bake up as firmly as you would like, which results in the crumbling.

An extra egg would help, as well as some cream when you mix the meatloaf mixture with the bread/breadcrumbs. Also, since you're only using one or even no eggs, you need to increase the amount of the binding ingredient (bread/breadcrumbs) in the meatloaf.