"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-24-2005, 03:46 PM   #21
Master Chef

Ok, I thought about this more ...

I think it's the meat texture ... assuming your meat was chunkier (less fine) than the grind from the supermarket. The finer you grind something the denser the loaf you make from it.

I think you will be disappointed if you leave out the egg. Meatloaf needs a binder. Egg does this (and egg/crumb or grain together), but ketchup doesn't. Maybe try egg whites?

Old 03-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I would soak a couple of pieces of plain old sandwich bread in some milk and add that to the mix, plus probably another 1/4 cup or so of milk. Sorry, geebs - I can't do without the eggs, either.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #23
Master Chef

Sounds like a combination moisture/binder problem. If you soaked the croutons in 1/2-cup milk for about 15-mins, that might help, and if you added another egg that should, too. But .... since you don't want the egg .... here is a recipe I found just for you!

Eggless Meatloaf

3/4 C. plain dry bread crumbs
3/4 C. skim milk or water
1-1/2 lb meatloaf mixture (ground pork, veal or pork-veal-beef )
1 - 2 grated onions
1 medium-sized peeled, grated, raw potato
a pinch of salt, pepper
a pinch of marjoram
1 crushed clove garlic or 1 t garlic powder
1 C water

In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs and milk or water. Add meatloaf mixture. Add grated onions and raw potato. (The grated potato replaces the egg as a binder.) Mix well by hand until thoroughly blended. Season to taste with salt, pepper, marjoram and crushed garlic or garlic powder. Mix well, shape into a loaf and place in the center of a cake pan greased with oil. Add water to pan and bake about 1 hr in pre-heated 350 oven.

If you have your own meat grinder at home it is best to run the meats, onion, garlic, potato all through together to get the most incoporated product.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:20 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Michael you rock!!! Thanks so much for that eggless recipe. I can't wait to try it

Thank you to everyone else too. I knew I could count on all of you for great advice and suggestions.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #25
Head Chef

GB, I have to agree with Topaz, you might want to try just the the white of the egg.

I believe the binding agent in the egg is the albumen that exists in the white of the egg and is basically tasteless to me.

To me the taste of the egg is all in the yolk.

Might try making a small batch and even use store bought chopped meat just to give it a try (we, like you, almost always grind our own, and for convenience use the processor instead of the grinders we have).

Just a thought if the grated potatoes don't do it for you.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:43 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

I just would not make it again if I needed to use more egg, even just the whites. I can taste and feel even just egg whites in many things even when it is just a little. It is almost like an electric current on my tongue. It is a very unpleasant thing for me.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:24 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Geebs, you gotta get over that - egg whites is goood!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

gb, when i make meatloaf, or meatballs, i eye the volume of meat, and add about 1/3 of that volume in bread crumbs. i've never measured, but that has always worked for me.

my mom alwasys uses fresh bread, torn into small chunks by hand. her meatloaf was legendary...

just a coupla suggestions.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:49 AM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

I wish I could. I really really do. Of all the foods I don't eat, eggs are the one I hate the most, but they are what I wish I could eat the most. I think it is even more than just simply not liking then. My body actually has a violent reaction to them. I describe it like it is an allergy even though it is not. The weird thing is that in the morning if someone is making eggs it smells good and also makes me gag all t the same time.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
gb, when i make meatloaf, or meatballs, i eye the volume of meat, and add about 1/3 of that volume in bread crumbs. i've never measured, but that has always worked for me.

my mom alwasys uses fresh bread, torn into small chunks by hand. her meatloaf was legendary...

just a coupla suggestions.
Yeah it did look like I had a lot of meat. It was overflowing from the loaf pan.

Years ago my mom was taking a trip to FL by herself and leaving my brother, father, and me on our own. She left us all sorts of food and instructions on how to feed ourselves. One night we decided to make meatloaf. The three of us make it together. While making it, dad dropped the loaf on the floor. Well being the boys and men that we were, we applied the 3 second rule and picked it up and continued to make it. The meatloaf had absolutely NO taste, but it held together perfectly. We still joke that dropping it on the floor is the trick. Maybe I should have tried that