Troubleshoot this recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chef Wil said:
I teach a survival cooking course called The Surviving Gourmet every sumer. In it I suggest using ground fresh cat-tail tubers as a binder for breads and things. There is almost no taste to it and I make cookies breads and muffins with it. Easy to find, almost any marsh or wetland in the US has it growing. Easy to use, just peel it and toss the tuber into a food processor. Easy to store, keeps for a few weeks in a fridge or you can freeze it.

I know cattails are edible, but I never thought of using them like this [and I probably won't].

But my Uncle told me that he uses the fluff in cattail tops as a binder for his catfish and carp doughball bait where as I use flour!

Interesting, huh?

LOL, it's surprising how many people don't know that they are edible. You should see the faces on people when they bite into a cattail cookie with honey sweeteners and a few dried berries or fruits mixed in. I don't blame you for not trying them, they are a lot of work but make a showy finish for the course.
As far as I know the cattail is probably the most useable plant on earth. Most parts have a very good flavor. I'm surprised by cattails not being used in the commercial markets.

I know this post has been around for a while, but as I just found it and reviewed the comments, a suggestion I would like to make that I didn't see mentioned is to let the meatloaf rest for like 10 min. or so after removing it from the oven. I know when I have tried to slice a meatloaf too quickly after removing from the oven, it did crumble quite a bit and I couldn't get nice slices. Also, I use a beef/pork/veal meat mixture from the grocery store. They usually grind it as one-third of each type of meat, but I will add another pkg. of plain ground beef to the other meat mixture.

Barbara L said:
I'm not going to attempt to answer your question, as it seems to have been well covered. I just thought it was interesting. Personally, I have never made meatloaf with bread or crackers, just oatmeal. I love the texture it gives the meatloaf. That is how my mom always made hers too. :cool:

:) Barbara

Yup, I learned at my my mother's knee and she always used oatmeal for the dry ingredient. But I also use egg, and never have a problem with crumbling. In addition to lean ground beef, I mix in chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, oatmeal, egg, salt and pepper, cook for 1 hour at 375, then cover with a can of cream of mushroom soup, garnish with sliced pimento olives, and cook for about 1/2 hour more or till the meat is done. I've never had a recipe, just do it by what looks right. Always seems to come out perfectly. :chef:

Edit: The cooking time is for a 2 pound loaf.

Back
Top Bottom