"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 03-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #31
Master Chef
Originally Posted by GB
... While making it, dad dropped the loaf on the floor. Well being the boys and men that we were, we applied the 3 second rule and picked it up and continued to make it. ...
That's what Julia Child would have done!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:26 PM   #32
Head Chef
OK GB, I now understand, only one egg (am a bit slow, and sorry Jennyma, did not see your posting before mine about the egg whites).

I started to think (always a bad idea, my worst food ideas emerge when I do that).

Just a couple of probably dumb ideas.

Maybe a gelatin solution might work, or perhaps a soy powder mixed with water or stock.

Wonder if the water that canned kidney or pinto beans are packed in, perhaps with some of the beans ground up with the immersion blender, might work.

Don't know if a starch like arrowroot or cornstarch would do the job, but it might be worth a shot. Or the potato starch option, previously mentioned, might do.

Can always get some cheap chopped beef, make teeny loaves with each one using a different ingredient. Probably what I would do, but then again I am very compulsive.

For the ones you don't like, there is always the cat or dog.

I doubt this helps, but it is after midnight, am tired, and think I will have a glass of wine and just go to bed.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 PM   #33
Executive Chef
18 ounces of meat times 2, if I read right, seems a lot of meat and with the moisture added due to the onion and carrot, it seems to me that 6 ounces of dried croutons isn't right either. I'd say not enough bread, but then, what do I know? I do agree that fresh bread would make more sense. You've got 36 ounces of meat there and that's the size of a football, not a meatloaf.
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #34
Executive Chef
What a bummer to not like eggs does that mean you cant eat cookies,cake,pancakes?

A few good squirts of ketchup would be good also I think you really need to work your meat mixture really well by hand to help it to hold it together.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I'm not going to attempt to answer your question, as it seems to have been well covered. I just thought it was interesting. Personally, I have never made meatloaf with bread or crackers, just oatmeal. I love the texture it gives the meatloaf. That is how my mom always made hers too.

:) Barbara
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #36

Here's my 2 cents,,,,I think your mixture is way to dry. When I make meatloaf I add at least a full cup of tomato sauce to the mix. My meatloaf is so runny that I have to put in into a meatloaf pan because there is no way you could shape it into a loaf. When it's done cooking, let it rest for at least 10 minutes and it hold together and will be the moistest loaf you'll ever have. Got the idea from a copy cat recipe for Boston Market meatloaf, check topsecretrecipes.com I think it's there.
Saltygreasybacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #37
Assistant Cook
Dry Meatloaf

I think you need more moisture. Perhaps some Italian tomato sauce, or salsa, or plain tomato sauce? Also a tbsp. or so of oil. Grating the vegetables is better than chunks, it releases the moisture. Grated zucchini is good for this,if you like it. To help hold it together, maybe a half cup or so of grated parmesan cheese, or even mozzarella. The corn/potato starch is good, but can dry things out without enough extra moisture. And for a nice taste, try stuffing mix (Stove Top) blended or crushed a bit instead of bread or breadcrumbs. Unfortunately, the egg yolks give lots of moisture, I usually add an extre yolk to mine, but these hints might work for you. Hope this helps.
ajrubyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #38
Sous Chef
I had the same problem and I sauteed my veggies in a tad bit of evoo before adding them. The water evaporated in the veggies and the oil acted better as a binder. The veggies seem to just melt into the loaf and it's not chunky at all. I didn't have to add another egg.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #39
I didn't read EVERY response but I agreed with some of the others I've read.

Couple points, I don't know how you defrosted your meat IF it was frozen. DON'T thaw in the microwave. Let it thaw at room temp on its own
You won't taste the other egg, use it
you need a greasy meat for a good meatloaf, IMO...if your meat is lean add a little butter or bacon drippings........bacon drippings would be my first choice.
cantcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #40
Send a message via MSN to Chef Wil Send a message via Yahoo to Chef Wil
I would add a little more fat, instead of GR I would have used all GC or even GB for part of the mix. I usually use 1/2 GC and 1/2 ground pork. The moisture content is even more important to me. Add a little red wine or a touch of milk to the recipe and it will get better. Also try using 15 to 20 pulses or get a meat grinder, I don't think meat can be done right in a food processor, breaks up the cells too much and it comes out pasty textured.

I teach a survival cooking course called The Surviving Gourmet every sumer. In it I suggest using ground fresh cat-tail tubers as a binder for breads and things. There is almost no taste to it and I make cookies breads and muffins with it. Easy to find, almost any marsh or wetland in the US has it growing. Easy to use, just peel it and toss the tuber into a food processor. Easy to store, keeps for a few weeks in a fridge or you can freeze it.

Chef Wil is offline   Reply With Quote