"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #11
Master Chef

I doubt it's the "mayo" making the tuna salad runny. It's probably the liquid going into the salad (from the tuna, pickle relish, etc.) that is causing the problem. Of course, if you make it a day in advance, what would have been pristine on the day it was made could get a little runny overnight.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I've had runny tuna salad when using either 'Miracle Whip' or a 'store brand' - it's thinner than the other name brand mayo's.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:10 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I'm with you Michael in that tuna salad will get runny the day after it's first made. I will just tilt the bowl with the tuna salad and drain off any extra liquid that developed overnight. I have also been buying the tuna in the bag and think it has more flavor than the canned stuff, however, as noted above, it is more expensive. To kind of counteract the higher cost, I will also use canned tuna into the mix with the bagged stuff sometimes.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:42 PM   #14
Master Chef

Ours doesn't usually last till the last day...

But if there is some left, it does get watery. I agree with Michael...it's from the tuna and pickle relish. I fork out the good stuff for my lunch and let the cats have the bowl (a pair of blue point Siamese). You should hear them purr.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:50 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I used to press the liquid out of the tuna can by pressing down on the lid. Then I bought a plastic device that fits into a tuna can that allows you to squeeze out all the liquid. It's very inexpensive and very effective as you can really press down hard to get the liquid out.

It's usually available in the gadget section of the supermarket.

I never have runny tuna.
I have one of these tuna strainers. Like Andy says it works great. If you turn it upside down and put it over a regular size can or jar it is great for draining other canned items like olives, pickles, etc.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #16

Peut-etre "La Salade de Thon" ???

Tuna salad . . .

I use Poupon mustard instead of mayo -- Mayo is technically a "sauce" like Hollandaise, but I prefer the "moutarde" -- DILL pickles minced fine, and maybe some minced garlic.

But then, I'm French . . . **G**

If you drain it, it shouldn't run. Mayo to use is "Best Foods" which on the East Coast is "Hellman's."

None of this "Miracle Whip" nonsense!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Interesting to hear so many possible causes of the water.

Since there is always condensation on the inside of the plastic container lid, I assumed this to be the source of the accumulating water. My thought was to find containers that would 'nest'. Store the tuna salad in the inner container hoping the condensation would only form in the outer container.

I place the tuna in a colander and press with a large spoon, but I may have been less careful with the eggs and mayo. I will use minced onion in the next batch.

(Sorry about resurrecting such an old thread, but it was on point.)
NRA Benefactor Member
Mike1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Bergeron View Post
Can anyone out there tell me how to make tuna salad that isn't runny? I always drain the tuna well: I usually get the one packed in water, but I have used " packed in oil". It doesn't seem to matter. Does the temp of the mayonnaise have anything to do with it? Any advice appreciated!
Press your thumb down harder on the can lid that's now inside the can. Wait more while draining.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Press your thumb down harder on the can lid that's now inside the can. Wait more while draining.
Jackie wrote this 11 years ago, but I'm sure she appreciates your advice
Old 10-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I open, squeeze drain and put the tuna on a doubled paper towel in the bowl I will make the tuna salad in. The night before I make the tuna salad.
By the next day this paper towel will be soaked. But now, most of the liquid is gone.
After the tuna salad is done and put back in the fridge, there will still be some liquid and require a stir before serving again.

IMO, you never get all the liquid out. You can mitigate to an extent.