Tuna salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since the tuna I buy is packed in olive oil, what doesn't drain fits right in with the mayo I use.

I buy tuna in oil, too. I like to add chopped celery to tuna salad and yes, the next day (if it lasts to the next day), the celery has given up some water. I just drain it off.

I notice the same thing with potato salad after a couple of days, when it's made with celery.

I buy tuna in oil, too. I like to add chopped celery to tuna salad and yes, the next day (if it lasts to the next day), the celery has given up some water. I just drain it off.

I notice the same thing with potato salad after a couple of days, when it's made with celery.

With regard to celery, onion, peppers, etc., could the moisture be pressed out prior to assembly?

Some other method?

With regard to celery, onion, peppers, etc., could the moisture be pressed out prior to assembly?

Some other method?

No, you can't really press out the liquid. Salting vegetables causes them to release water, so you could do that. Salting will also cause them to soften, though, so they won't be as crunchy.

I think it's easier to drain it off as needed.

Last edited:
I agree with GG, Mike...if you like the added crunchies of the veggies, your best bet is to just drain the excess liquid out the next day. Or just make enough to use it up in one day.

When we have "watery" leftovers like tuna salad or potato salad, I just mix things up again to incorporate that moisture right back into the food. Same thing goes with the whey that rises to the top in yogurt, sour cream, or cottage cheese.

I learned a trick with dairy products like yogurt, etc. ages ago. After you take out your serving, use the back of the spoon to smooth out the surface of the food and make it flat. It seems that those foods stay fresher for longer.

I've read that adding a tablespoon of commercial dry breadcrumbs to each 6 ounce can of tuna helps eliminate the liquid, never tried it.

You could also try using powdered onion and celery salt but I prefer the crunch of real vegetables.

I just press the leftover tuna on the side of the bowl with a slotted spoon and call it good enough!

Good luck!

Since the tuna I buy is packed in olive oil, what doesn't drain fits right in with the mayo I use.

I should have been more clear. I use this method with canned tuna in water or in oil.
Like said above, the liquid must be coming from the chopped veggies.
Not to much you can do about that.

I learned how to make tuna salad the Italian way over 40 years ago: here's the recipe:

1 can tuna in olive oil
1 can borlotti beans
1 red bell pepper cut into small squares
1 red onion that will fit in the palm of your hand, finely chopped
1 handful fresh hulled corn cooked
Juice of just over half a fresh lemon
Black olives to taste (optional)
4 anchovy fillets (optional)
chopped and cooked green beans 1 handful (optional)
Salt and pepper.

Put the tuna and the oil in came in into a salad bowl. Flake the tuna. Add the other ingredients in no particular order except for the salt and pepper which you do last when you adjust the flavours for seasoning before serving. This recipe solves the problem of getting rid of the brine it's canned in in the other way of canning tuna!

di reston

Enough ios never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I learned how to make tuna salad the Italian way over 40 years ago: here's the recipe:

1 can tuna in olive oil
1 can borlotti beans
1 red bell pepper cut into small squares
1 red onion that will fit in the palm of your hand, finely chopped
1 handful fresh hulled corn cooked
Juice of just over half a fresh lemon
Black olives to taste (optional)
4 anchovy fillets (optional)
chopped and cooked green beans 1 handful (optional)
Salt and pepper.

Put the tuna and the oil in came in into a salad bowl. Flake the tuna. Add the other ingredients in no particular order except for the salt and pepper which you do last when you adjust the flavours for seasoning before serving. This recipe solves the problem of getting rid of the brine it's canned in in the other way of canning tuna!

di reston

Enough ios never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Yum!!!!:yum:

Back
Top Bottom