"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 06-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Thanks again for all the help and info.........But most of all putting up with me. Sorry if times I annoy you guys with off the wall questions. But i really appr. the help.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
Thanks again for all the help and info.........But most of all putting up with me. Sorry if times I annoy you guys with off the wall questions. But i really appr. the help.
Annoy us? You don't know us very well. Rather than annoy, you gave us a chance to do what we like to do best, discuss. I think that maybe, we were a bit overbearing with our statements. We love questions. And occasionally, as we are human and so very apt at making mistakes ourselves, we get carried away with a topic, or thought.

Please feel free to ask questions about cooking, about life, about how to find the right part for your car, or whatever. Enjoy the sometimes silliy, sometimes dead serious, rarely angry, and always with a desire to give our best, answers to your questions. Also, put in you own two cents. Give us new ideas, and recipes. Sometimes, it is the questioner who sparks discussions through which we all learn something new.

No, you didn't annoy us. You gave us something new to chew on. And to show you that you are indeed not only welcome here, but valued, I give you my signature recipe (My eldest daughter, PAG here in DC, helped me figure out just the right mix of common ingredients for these pancakes.

World’s Finest Pancakes

These pancakes come out so moist and light that you will never buy a pancake mix again. Enjoy them.

Dry Ingrediants
:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Double Acting Baking Powder

Wet Ingrediants:
3/4 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil

Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingrediants into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingrediants and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will overmix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will dissapear while cooking the pancakes.

Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.

You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to ballance the acid from the fruit.

The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. Yo can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingrediants by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingrediants by two.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #33
Senior Cook

thank you for the pancake recipe. I will try it soon.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
thank you for the pancake recipe. I will try it soon.
It's really good. I haven't used any other pancake recipes since the Chief first posted it.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #35
Senior Cook

understanding - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

what is the cooking term used when say you are cooking on the stove in a frying pan with some water and a lid. I cook fresh sausage in a skillet with some water and a lid and when i am done cooking it i take the lid off and brown it. Is there a cooking term for this? Is there any time cooking on the stove doesnt have cooking terms.....like stewing,braising ,pan frying. thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #36
Head Chef

Well, I don't know that I've heard a name for that particularly, but it's close to poaching or steaming. But poaching is specifically a short time gently cooking in liquid, and it's done with more delicate foods, like fish, and the time is kept quite short, because foods that are appropriate for poaching undergo undesirable changes with longer cooking. So those foods are not those that would be subject to being seared.

Pork chops are an example of the reverse of what you describe. They are browned (rather lower temperature than for beef because the surface shrinks badly with too much heat) and then finished with some water in the pan. (Not everyone does that. You can make very good pork chops without the water.)

Reversing the steps wouldn't be the best way. Browning/searing depends on direct dry heat. One of the problems with searing is getting the surface dry and preventing such sweating that the food more steams or boils than sears. And cooking in water would aggravate that. Which is likely why there's no name for it. It's not a logical technique. Sure. The pork chop will cook in water and will eventually brown when the water evaporates, but it will be seriously overdone. Try the sausage the other way around. Brown it, then add water, not much, and finish covered under a medium or medium-low heat with water.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, so are pancackes fried, or griddled, or butter steamed, or...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
what is the cooking term used when say you are cooking on the stove in a frying pan with some water and a lid. I cook fresh sausage in a skillet with some water and a lid and when i am done cooking it i take the lid off and brown it. Is there a cooking term for this? Is there any time cooking on the stove doesnt have cooking terms.....like stewing,braising ,pan frying. thanks
The method you describe is often called basting.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

the chief is a master at that..

lol, sorry. too easy

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
ok, so are pancackes fried, or griddled, or butter steamed, or...
They are eaten.

Tags
cooking