Unsure - re: "roast"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
forty caliber...... doesnt braising usually have a lid?

Doesn't have to. Won't brown with a lid.

Cooking is as much art as science. Don't over analyze. The creative process is more important than the definitions. Have fun with it.

I often start a braised dish covered then finish it under the broiler to brown it.

so the recipe i suggested to look at doesnt even cover it at all. i can see what u said what u do... cover first and brown later. but here in this recipe only sits in liquid and is brown by the butter its consider a braise. just trying to get how u say its braised. And wouldnt on the roasting adding water to the drippings cause steam while roasting?

Last edited:
so the recipe i suggested to look at doesnt even cover it at all. i can see what u said what u do... cover first and brown later. but here in this recipe only sits in liquid and is brown by the butter its consider a braise. just trying to get how u say its braised. And wouldnt on the roasting adding water to the drippings cause steam while roasting?

This recipe is not braising in my opinion. Braising is done in a moist environment. If the pan had been covered, it would have been a braise. Since the skin browned, it wasn't in a moist environment so it's not a braise.

Yes, some steam is generated but it escapes into the oven rather than remaining in the closed space of a pot or covered pan.

This is essentially a bad method of roasting.

Braising, like Andy said, is cooking at a low temp with liquid in a covered container.

You brown the protein before you add the liquid and cover it.

The Internet is full of random people who create a blog and write about what they do. That doesn't make them an expert at it - just someone who wants to share what they're doing. So don't take to heart every website's description of what they're doing.

as forty_caliber said, don't over-analyze. Get yourself a beginner's cookbook and get started :)

This is a great one: The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook 3rd Edition

i might be getting one of those cook books for Christmas, but i have done some cooking. my roast chicken i did notice some of the drippings burning. I thought if i added any water that would make a moist environment and i knew roasting was suppose to be dry method. so even if i made a bed of vegetables and add water to it and had the meat above in a rack that steam from the water is not going to interrupt the dry cooking method? I have read some people dont like to use even butter on a chicken or turkey bec. of the steam it might produce? That recipe i shared, if that is bad roasting than what would u call it? reason asking is bec. the way its made is very similar to a way my grandma made her chicken pieces ,but she never said or gave it a title. What would u think it should be called. AGAIN thanks for the advice.

mumu, it's really roasting.

What you do for your chicken is roasting. It's on a rack in an open pan with veggies and a little liquid in the pan to prevent burning. That's just right.

Every time you put meat in heat, in the oven or in a pan, some steam is generated by the moisture in the meat cooking off. IT'S NOT IMPORTANT.

If you put water in a pan under a roast (chicken, beef, pork, etc) to keep the drippings from burning, steam is created. IT'S NOT IMPORTANT.

The meat is cooking entirely by dry heat when you roast. The small amount of steam generated by the liquid in the pan doesn't do any cooking, it dissipates in the oven and comes out the vent.

It's steaming instead of roasting when the steam is contained around the meat and is what cooks the meat.

sorry andy,but the recipe i said that u said was bad roasting is still roasting? not understanding ,than u say its steaming rather than roasting?

It's still roasting because it's in an open pan and browns on it's own. Any steam generated is NOT IMPORTANT.

I said it's steaming when it's in a covered pan that contains the steam around the meat. Your recipe doesn't do that.

thank you.....i miss interpreted your answer before. (sorry)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom