Uses For Bleach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess you can tell I'm not a baker, because I have no idea exactly how much or how long I do these things! I fill my (now Corian, but in previous lives porcelain and sometimes SS) sinks with water and I'd wildly guess maybe a cup of bleach -- my sinks now are pretty large, so maybe more. In go the cutting boards, stained coffee/tea cups, wash rags/towels, drain racks, etc. When the stains are gone, I'm done. But I don't watch it carefully. I often will take a wash rag (my terminology), dip it, wring and wipe down other things in the kitchen that need work. I do this about once a month or so. I'm firmly in the camp of folk who say, "don't bother with the expensive stuff". I haven't found Clorox to work any different from store brand.

A few words of warning probably not needed but very important to remember. Make sure that you do not put bleach or any other type of cleaning solutions in anything a child might think its to drink out of. Its best to keep all cleaning solutions locked up or put up where a child cannot reach. I don't know how many times I have heard of a child getting a cup, glass or coke bottle that a careless parent has left within reach and they drink it. When my niece and nephew were little, we put in cabinet locks that is easy for an adult to open but a small child doesn't have the dexterity to manipulate the clasp. LOL we were so use to the things being on the cabinets that we didn't think to take them off until my niece was about 14. :)

Very very important since bleach can react with a lot of different chemicals it is extremely important NOT to mix bleach with anything you are not sure it won't react with. My grandmother was cleaning her tub with bleach and something else, didn't have a window open and ended up fainting in the bathroom. Luckily my grandfather was home sick and heard the noise and went in to check or my grandmother might have died and I may never have known her.

You guys are giving me "clean envy"! I wish I was as thorough at keeping walls, countertops, and everything else clean as yall seem to be! I'm just a mess - and so is my house.

I do wash my dishes and cutting boards. Didn't want anyone to think I'm that bad...

It is ammonia that can poison you if accidently mixed with bleach. The fumes are literally deadly when the two are mixed. When I was in the service, a guy killed himself (accidently) when he thought if ammonia is good (we used it for stripping wax), and bleach is good (used for cleaning latrines), then use both together. I make a point of using my heavy duty cleansers one at a time. Do NOT mix bleach-based and ammonia-based cleansers (and sometimes you may not know what is in a cleaner unless you read the small print).

I just thought of another use for bleach. If you ever happen to get into a fire ant hill (like I did Saturday:rolleyes: ), go straight inside & pour bleach over the area the ants bit you. It instantly relieves the stinging & also helps keep the little blister like things from forming. It works best if you can do this as soon as you get bitten. Bleach also kills fire ants.

I've always used bleach to keep my kitchen cloths (and sponges etc.) spotless. After the end of a big meal clean-up, I always soak everything in my stainless steel sink. I've heard about the pitting problem, but honestly, that's never happened to me or my mom, after many many years of doing this. The bleach keeps the ss very clean and shiny. I also soak my cutting boards and will wipe down the counters and the fridge handle and such. I think I'm using about 1/2 cup in a sink full of hot water (3-5 gallons?). My mom used to put a little (tblsp) in her Corning wear tea-pot (filled up with hot water), as well as our tea cups and mugs to remove tannin stains.

The hint about the drains is very good - it works.

Just dilute properly, and rinse well, always, otherwise your house will not smell like a commercial kitchen or a swimming pool changing room (not very homey). Sometimes folks get really vehement about the toxicity of bleach, but it's probably a lot less toxic than many of the other cleaning products in common use. Isn't it based on salt?

Sandy:

With proper precautions as you described, bleach is safe to use. However, it really isn't based on salt as you suggest.

Bleach is a chemical that is a compound of chlorine. Salt is a chemical that is a compound of chlorine. However, they are very different. One is a corrisive poison, and the other is edible.

You seem to suggest that it's really not that harmful because it's "based on salt". I wouldn't want anyone to have that impression and be less careful as a result.

Clorox

Great tip on fireants - 'cause the sting is unbelievable and the blisters last forever. You can be standing in a spot where they're just thinking about building, and up they come!

Also, if you purchase Clorox Clean-Up, make sure you wear old clothes when using it, because it will sure bleach out anything it gets sprayed on.

Use three-quarters cup of bleach per each gallon of water to clean molds and mildew from the outside of your house and porch

Pour a cup or more of bleach in a toilet bowl and let it set for a few minutes and it will be easer to clean with the toilet brush

Using an old toothbrush and three-quarters cup bleach per gallon of water you can scrub mildew from grout

Use one gallon of water and three-quarter cups bleach to wash out garbage cans to deodorize and disinfect them.

Bleach dilutes toilet paper, so you can pour some down your toilet bowl to help dissolve the toilet paper in the bowl if you begin to have problems with your toilet not flushing

You can also use bleach to prolong the life of freshly cut flowers by adding twenty drops of bleach to each quart of water you use to place your flowers in (haven't tried this one)

Sift soil. Cut the bottom of an empty clean bottle at an angle to make a scooper. Insert a 6" diameter piece of 1 quarter inch hardware cloth to rest above the handle hole. Scoop up dirt, sift through narrow opening, and stones will be caught by the hardware cloth.

Here is an all purpose cleaner a friend sent..........

1 pt. rubbing alcohol
2 Tablespoons Amonia
2 teaspoons od dish soap
Recycle heavy Apple Juice container (galon size) NOT a milk jug.
Pour in ingreedents and fill with water.
use full strength or delute 1/2 and 1/2 with water

If I try this I would try it first by cutting this in half or even less.

TexasBlueHeron said:
Great tip on fireants - 'cause the sting is unbelievable and the blisters last forever. You can be standing in a spot where they're just thinking about building, and up they come!

How true! My son found out the hard way not to sit on the ground at our new house. He got several bites on his rear end the other day.:ohmy: I had to use cotton balls & dab the bleach on him.

I pour about a cup of bleach in the toilet before bed, the toilet is clean in the morning , no scrubbing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom