"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Sorry if our teasing hit you the wrong way creative. Sometimes if a link appears in a new thread without any personal comment by the OP, confusion can ensue. I've seen that a lot in other forums. Maybe Kayelle and I were trying to be funny about differing opinions. Guess we'd better not quit our day jobs...

I looked at that linked list you posted. FWIW, I've been cooking for half-a-century. My Mom worked 1-9 PM once a week - I was 12. I started to dabble with "gourmet" cooking over a dozen years ago when we became empty-nesters. And like GCL, I usually learn something every time I look. Heck, when I open a search page I swear my browser thinks "ANOTHER cooking question?"
Oh OK. I am on other forums (spiritual ones) and posting a link for a thread, without a comment, isn't misunderstood or found wanting. Will adjust accordingly here.

Yes, as mentioned, I realise most of you are experienced but then I also have read other posts where knowledge of basic cookery seemed to be needed, i.e. how to boil rice and how to stop meat going hard/tough when frying. I didn't expect experienced cooks to click on this thread.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Master Chef

I think most of us who think we're "experienced" still click on those links. We really don't "know it all" in spite of the appearance that we think we do!

Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

Really Creative? You are making far too much of this. Let it go. We all appreciate the link you left and it will be used by lots of people in the future. I'm not sure what could have possibly upset you by any comments made. After all, you didn't compile the expert advice in all areas of cooking, right?
Relax. Have fun.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Creative, quite often you will find that our members will be posting back and forth between just two, with a sense of humor. It is not meant to be taken any other way. I learned the hard way to use the emoticons at the right to get my point across. Sometimes if I wish to make a point, but in the manner of a sense of humor, I will use the wink, or laugh or even the ROFL one. It tells the rest of the readers that what I have posted has been done with tongue in cheek or meant as a joke. Those emoticons really speak volumes when trying to get a point across.

We have some members that comes from other countries and have difficulty expressing themselves in English. Knowing this, we understand and accept that what has been posted has no hidden meaning or sense of disagreement. And more then not, we respond with a sense of humor. We do have some heated arguments, but they get deleted really quick by the moderators. And rightly so. Just because someone disagrees with another member does not mean that the poster is looking for an argument.

So calm down, take a deep breath and lets get on to the next subject. I did look at your post, and like others who have raised their family and are now empty nesters, we still can learn something new. Our mothers or some other mentor has taught us all to cook. But without all the conveniences we now have. And each day there is something new on the market. It will probably call for a different way of cooking than what we learned as a child.

No harm, no foul. We are happy to have you here and appreciate your contributions.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have always viewed cooking as an art form. As such, it will always take new directions with everyone who does it. IMHO, there isn't and never will be any one "correct" way to cook anything. That is the reason I enjoy D.C. so much. There is always a new approach to preparing even the most mundane of dishes.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I have always viewed cooking as an art form. As such, it will always take new directions with everyone who does it. IMHO, there isn't and never will be any one "correct" way to cook anything. That is the reason I enjoy D.C. so much. There is always a new approach to preparing even the most mundane of dishes.
You are so right Hoot. I have often wondered how so many folks can come up with different recipes without it being a copycat one. If we all cooked the same way, there wouldn't be so many cookbooks and magazines out there for us to purchase telling us how to make "that dish" different from all the others that the reader has looked over.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We really don't "know it all" in spite of the appearance that we think we do!

Speak tor yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
[snip- this is just how some of us joke around with each other.[snip] You may not have encountered this yet, but it's a big part of what makes this place so much fun
I find the folks here fun and kind. After all they do put up with me.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Personally, I think our take on how to boil water was our best.
That one is in my recipe file. I often have to pull it out for reference when I am making pasta. You don't expect me to remember everything about cooking. Pasta does not taste good when made in cold water. The butter and cheese doesn't melt very well.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If the person posting a link doesn't tell me why the link is interesting, I don't usually bother to click it. There are so many links posted on the internet that I just don't have the time, unless I expect it to be interesting or funny.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Really Creative? You are making far too much of this. Let it go. We all appreciate the link you left and it will be used by lots of people in the future. I'm not sure what could have possibly upset you by any comments made. After all, you didn't compile the expert advice in all areas of cooking, right?
Relax. Have fun.
I think you misunderstand. I am not upset. Just explaining myself. (Perhaps I need to use emoticons to convey this)? My language here was not the least bit heated - read it and see - so I am puzzled.

When you say I am making too much of this...I am merely replying to posts i.e. to explain. I really don't care about this thread one way or the other....I have a life!

Tags
food, technique