Various Techniques for many types of food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We HAVE differing opinions @ DC Kayelle? :huh: I thought we always agreed about everything around here. :ROFLMAO:

I guess picking meat out of a lobster in England would be rated "difficult", but I bet it's an "easy" here in New England. Babies born up here come out with a bib on and a lobster cracker in one hand! I found it interesting that article never tells you how to remove meat from a tail. I know Florida lobsters don't have claws. Maybe the English variety get the claws but gave up their tales...

Well I am new here and haven't yet got to grips with the various levels of cooking expertise here. I don't assume that everyone is an expert.....e.g. I recall someone asking how to cook rice, another enquiring why fried meat was always tough etc.

I just thought it might be useful as a general guideline to offer here. Obviously any experienced cook would have no need to click on this thread!

Take it easy, creative - this is just how some of us joke around with each other. Some of our threads about certain cooking techniques go on and on for days as we debate the finer points at each opportunity ;) You may not have encountered this yet, but it's a big part of what makes this place so much fun :)

We HAVE differing opinions @ DC Kayelle? :huh: I thought we always agreed about everything around here. :ROFLMAO:

I guess picking meat out of a lobster in England would be rated "difficult", but I bet it's an "easy" here in New England. Babies born up here come out with a bib on and a lobster cracker in one hand! I found it interesting that article never tells you how to remove meat from a tail. I know Florida lobsters don't have claws. Maybe the English variety get the claws but gave up their tales...

So true. I used to gather up the lobsters on the beach after a Nor'easter when I was a kid. And they weren't pegged or have elastics on their claws. We just 'knew' to pick them up on their back near the head. They can't get their claws back there to bite you. Or if they were really feisty we just twisted the claws off. It all ends up in the same pot. :angel:

...I just thought it might be useful as a general guideline to offer here. Obviously any experienced cook would have no need to click on this thread!

Not at all. I'm good. Not trying to be an artistic master chef, but but pretty dang good. But I go for any sort of article like that and ALWAYS get something out of it I didn't know or hadn't put together. I'm experienced enough that I don't buy cook books, but I buy plenty of cooking books, both kitchen techniques and the science of food and cooking.

The link is to a bunch of pretty basic how-tos, and those are really valuable, because most recipes assume you know how to cut up a chicken. It's no joke to be sitting there wondering how to do something or getting it wrong. And you can't fault such articles for not presenting the absolute best way to do something. If you follow their guide to frying chips, you will not get really good chips, because there's a lot more to it, but you will get them cooked reasonably chip-like without burning down the kitchen. They're getting people through the recipe without overwhelming them.

You know, if you watch cooking shows featuring chefs that travel to or invite in other chefs, unless they have giant egos, you'll regularly see one chef teach another a technique for something pretty basic.

This all involves what Zen practitioners call "beginner mind." If you think you're so experienced that you need not look at things like this, you probably do need to look at things like this.

Take it easy, creative - this is just how some of us joke around with each other. Some of our threads about certain cooking techniques go on and on for days as we debate the finer points at each opportunity ;) You may not have encountered this yet, but it's a big part of what makes this place so much fun :)
I believe my post was calm, i.e. just explaining my situation. Debates can be constructive and yes, I really look forward to the lighter side of posts here.....

Sorry if our teasing hit you the wrong way creative. Sometimes if a link appears in a new thread without any personal comment by the OP, confusion can ensue. I've seen that a lot in other forums. Maybe Kayelle and I were trying to be funny about differing opinions. Guess we'd better not quit our day jobs...:ermm:

I looked at that linked list you posted. FWIW, I've been cooking for half-a-century. My Mom worked 1-9 PM once a week - I was 12. I started to dabble with "gourmet" cooking over a dozen years ago when we became empty-nesters. And like GCL, I usually learn something every time I look. Heck, when I open a search page I swear my browser thinks "ANOTHER cooking question?" :LOL:

Sorry if our teasing hit you the wrong way creative. Sometimes if a link appears in a new thread without any personal comment by the OP, confusion can ensue. I've seen that a lot in other forums. Maybe Kayelle and I were trying to be funny about differing opinions. Guess we'd better not quit our day jobs...:ermm:

I looked at that linked list you posted. FWIW, I've been cooking for half-a-century. My Mom worked 1-9 PM once a week - I was 12. I started to dabble with "gourmet" cooking over a dozen years ago when we became empty-nesters. And like GCL, I usually learn something every time I look. Heck, when I open a search page I swear my browser thinks "ANOTHER cooking question?" :LOL:
Oh OK. I am on other forums (spiritual ones) and posting a link for a thread, without a comment, isn't misunderstood or found wanting. Will adjust accordingly here.

Yes, as mentioned, I realise most of you are experienced but then I also have read other posts where knowledge of basic cookery seemed to be needed, i.e. how to boil rice and how to stop meat going hard/tough when frying. I didn't expect experienced cooks to click on this thread.

I think most of us who think we're "experienced" still click on those links. We really don't "know it all" in spite of the appearance that we think we do! :LOL:

Really Creative? You are making far too much of this. Let it go. We all appreciate the link you left and it will be used by lots of people in the future. I'm not sure what could have possibly upset you by any comments made. After all, you didn't compile the expert advice in all areas of cooking, right?
Relax. Have fun.

Last edited:
Creative, quite often you will find that our members will be posting back and forth between just two, with a sense of humor. It is not meant to be taken any other way. I learned the hard way to use the emoticons at the right to get my point across. Sometimes if I wish to make a point, but in the manner of a sense of humor, I will use the wink, or laugh or even the ROFL one. It tells the rest of the readers that what I have posted has been done with tongue in cheek or meant as a joke. Those emoticons really speak volumes when trying to get a point across.

We have some members that comes from other countries and have difficulty expressing themselves in English. Knowing this, we understand and accept that what has been posted has no hidden meaning or sense of disagreement. And more then not, we respond with a sense of humor. We do have some heated arguments, but they get deleted really quick by the moderators. And rightly so. Just because someone disagrees with another member does not mean that the poster is looking for an argument.

So calm down, take a deep breath and lets get on to the next subject. I did look at your post, and like others who have raised their family and are now empty nesters, we still can learn something new. Our mothers or some other mentor has taught us all to cook. But without all the conveniences we now have. And each day there is something new on the market. It will probably call for a different way of cooking than what we learned as a child.

No harm, no foul. We are happy to have you here and appreciate your contributions. :angel:

I have always viewed cooking as an art form. As such, it will always take new directions with everyone who does it. IMHO, there isn't and never will be any one "correct" way to cook anything. That is the reason I enjoy D.C. so much. There is always a new approach to preparing even the most mundane of dishes.

I have always viewed cooking as an art form. As such, it will always take new directions with everyone who does it. IMHO, there isn't and never will be any one "correct" way to cook anything. That is the reason I enjoy D.C. so much. There is always a new approach to preparing even the most mundane of dishes.

You are so right Hoot. I have often wondered how so many folks can come up with different recipes without it being a copycat one. If we all cooked the same way, there wouldn't be so many cookbooks and magazines out there for us to purchase telling us how to make "that dish" different from all the others that the reader has looked over. :angel:

We really don't "know it all" in spite of the appearance that we think we do! :LOL:

Speak tor yourself. :whistling :mrgreen:

[snip- this is just how some of us joke around with each other.[snip] You may not have encountered this yet, but it's a big part of what makes this place so much fun :)

I find the folks here fun and kind. After all they do put up with me. ;)

Personally, I think our take on how to boil water was our best.

That one is in my recipe file. I often have to pull it out for reference when I am making pasta. You don't expect me to remember everything about cooking. Pasta does not taste good when made in cold water. The butter and cheese doesn't melt very well. :angel:

If the person posting a link doesn't tell me why the link is interesting, I don't usually bother to click it. There are so many links posted on the internet that I just don't have the time, unless I expect it to be interesting or funny.

Really Creative? You are making far too much of this. Let it go. We all appreciate the link you left and it will be used by lots of people in the future. I'm not sure what could have possibly upset you by any comments made. After all, you didn't compile the expert advice in all areas of cooking, right?
Relax. Have fun.
I think you misunderstand. I am not upset. Just explaining myself. :) (Perhaps I need to use emoticons to convey this)? My language here was not the least bit heated - read it and see - so I am puzzled.

When you say I am making too much of this...I am merely replying to posts i.e. to explain. I really don't care about this thread one way or the other....I have a life!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom