Ways to use flank steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of high end steak houses leave the bone on the strip or the filet.

I don't see the point other than for presentation/marketing purposes. I don't imagine the bone contributes any flavor in the short time the meat is under fire.

I don't see the point other than for presentation/marketing purposes. I don't imagine the bone contributes any flavor in the short time the meat is under fire.

Bone-in filets were the steak of the moment a few years ago. Still popular.

They are Abe and Louie's most popular offering. Ive had them many times and always enjoyed them. Never did a contemporaneous taste test with a boned one, though.

Bone-in filets were the steak of the moment a few years ago. Still popular.

They are Abe and Louie's most popular offering. Ive had them many times and always enjoyed them. Never did a contemporaneous taste test with a boned one, though.

Seems like a waste, though. I mean, the best thing about a bone in steak is picking up the bone and scavenging for the remains...not something that is looked upon favorably in a steakhouse. Or, is it?:LOL:

Seems like a waste, though. I mean, the best thing about a bone in steak is picking up the bone and scavenging for the remains...not something that is looked upon favorably in a steakhouse. Or, is it?:LOL:

Certainly one for the etiquette thread.

:rolleyes:

No, no...they go in the doggy bag for midnight munchies. My parents used to save their's when they went out and dropped them off at my place. I was able to make a meal or two out of them.

"Waiter, thanks, but I really don't need these utensils."

gnaw

I like to marinate and grill my boneless flanks. Sometimes I cut with the grain if I think the exercise of chewing is an important point of the dish.

I'm having flanks for dinner.
Salt and pepper and cooked on the stovetop with some onions. Paired with rice and beans and some tortillas, yummy.

I don't think a thin cut works for a premium cut of steak. Difficult to properly cook it.

When porterhouses and NY strips are cut thin it makes me mad.

You're sorta right in that regard as you really have to time the cooking just right. A matter of 30 seconds and medium rare becomes medium (with thin cuts). I still prefer it as I'm downsizing my meats and upping the other parts of meals.

Back
Top Bottom