"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
Head Chef

Ways to use flank steak?

When used as a meat filler in dishes, it's economical. I rarely bbq it anymore. I cut it into strips, then cut them in half and freeze it For an instant meal, I unwrap the frozen strips in the microwave for 5 minutes in a small round pyrex bowl, shake it in a few splashes of teriyaki, soy sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper, sugar, crushed garlic from a jar, and some ground ginger. Forget broiling it. I return the pyrex bowl to the microwave and set it on low for 5 minutes. Done and tender too.

Then I micro steam some frozen broccoli and sliced chunks of onion. I add all into a bowl.

I haven't mastered cooking instant rice in the micro, but that 's what makes up the bulk of the meal, of course.

It tastes good for not having to use the oven. Flank steak used this way is both cheap and convenient.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Flank steak is more expensive than ribeye's around me. And there's only one grocery store that even sells them. Frpm what I have seen it is one of those economical cuts that has risen in price in a lot of areas.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Executive Chef

We don't see that cut up here in most of our major grocery stores. I suppose you could probably get your hands on some, but the smaller specialty shops usually charge more for their meats, so it isn't worth sourcing out.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I Marinate flank steak and grill it. The key is to cook it no more than medium to medium rare and be sure to slice it thinly across the grain. Very tasty cut of meat.

I make a stuffed flank steak as well. I stuff it with bread stuffing or a spinach and feta combo, roll and tie it. Sear and roast it.

I also use it regularly in stir-frys.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Cook

Flanks (along with flat irons and some labeled "london broil") have become a favorite in our house. Rub with your favorite seasoning, grill at very high heat to rare/med rare and slice thin across the grain (as has already been said!) Very flavorful and tender. It's also excellent for fajitas and salads. I've also been using a new (to me) seasoning technique on these and most of my grilled beef. I heavily salt (2-3x normal) add other seasonings and let rest for an hour or 3 before grilling. The flavor is excellent, along with the tenderness and moistness of the meat.
Wood Fired Oven (Self Built '08)
70chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

When I was a kid, my Dad could hardly give away flank steak in his little meat market, so we ate it a lot. What we didn't use, he ground up. What a a tasty cut of beef, when it's cooked and sliced properly.
I seldom see it here now, and as some others have said, the cost is on a par with very tender steaks.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Flank steak is more expensive than ribeye's around me. And there's only one grocery store that even sells them. Frpm what I have seen it is one of those economical cuts that has risen in price in a lot of areas.
I'm sorry to see that for many, it's expensive or hard to find. My point was that, using it to fill up the other parts of a meal, such as a stir fry, it's pretty economical for how delicious it is. I too don't bbq it as the main course anymore. In that respect, it is kind of a pricey cut of meat.

I don't buy T-bone steaks anymore for the same reason, way expensive now. I wish the industry would start selling "thin cut" T-bone steaks, as they do with other steaks, to make it less expensive for that kind of great tasting bone in meat. I've not seen any T-Bone steaks cut thin sliced yet. I'm seeing more and more other steaks being cut thinner to save the consumer some money.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Is flank what we call skirt over here?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Is flank what we call skirt over here?
Yes. I believe it is.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know about over there, Bolas, but over here it is a different cut of beef. Thinner than a flank and from the diaphragm area I think.

Tags
None