"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
What are Biscuits?

I am in Australia, and I dont understand what your Biscuits are. In Australia our Biscuits are your Cookies, so what are your biscuits, are they like a Cake, I see them in recipies on here often, but cant quite get the grasp on what they are and what you may use them in, thanks for any help, I am really interested in learning all the different words for everyones cooking terms and foods.Thanks everyone that can help, I really apprieate it.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

types of dinner rolls, sometimes formed, sometimes "dropped" more free form. flour egg shortening water or milk, baked. (some are yeast raised)

cookies are sweet (desert), crackers are crisp and savory (served with cheese), buiscuits are part of the dinner meal..put butter on them or jam, mop up gravy etc.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It's like a dinner roll, like robo said. They can be "dropped" or they can be cut out. They rise quite a bit. They are softer and a bit creamier than a cake. They're fairly easy to make - make some! They are good with butter and drizzled with honey, or butter and more butter, or jam, or they can be made into a breakfast "sandwich" with a fried egg and cheese, or you can make a milk gravy with sausage and pour over them. All you'll be out is some flour, buttermilk, and a few other things. Try Alton Brown's recipe. I take it you have buttermilk, right?

It's like your shallots are different than our shallots. Years ago when this whole internet thing took off I learned what a capsicum was too!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Probably the texture of our biscuit is more like your scone, usually not containing sugar, although some recipes do so. I suppose no other country makes something exactly like our biscuits, although I would think if they once had one, it would be part of their meal often afterward. There aren't a lot of things that aren't even better served with a biscuit.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Head Chef

Licia is right in saying that the texture is very like a scone. My family loves them with any meal, especially for breakfast with a good bacon or sausage milk gravy on them.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Senior Cook

These are American biscuits:

http://static.flickr.com/1/1121215_3cddb6d182.jpg
Old 11-02-2006, 02:08 AM   #7
Head Chef

Thankyou for this info I have often wondered what biscuits were to Americans. They look exactly like scones to me but i guess they are savoury. Its confusing all the words we have for the same things isn't it? Even in the same country different states have different names for the same foods.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:00 AM   #8
Master Chef

Once more we are one people divided by a common language ...

An "American" biscuit is like a scone .... flour, fat, water, an acid and a "chemical" leavener (baking powder and/or baking soda). However, while scones may frequently include things like dried fruits and can be more akin to what we call muffins - biscuits are generally just left plain - to be adorned only by butter, jams, syrups, or gravy.

FYI - many of our ancestors came over here from Ireland, Scotland, England... and they brought the scone recipes with them. Somehow, through time - they became known as biscuits.

A "dinner roll" usually refers to an individually portioned yeast leavened type of bread.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I suppose no other country makes something exactly like our biscuits, although I would think if they once had one, it would be part of their meal often afterward...
Yes, one would think so ... and yet, that's not the case! I've made these several times for my Greek extended family, but usually they just baffle them (AND they want bread as well!!). The first time my mother-in-law tried them she must have asked two or three times "are you SURE they're done?" -- this about the butter-drenched, tender interior of some mighty perfect biscuits if I may say so myself!

My immediate family loves them though. Especially under a nice chicken fricasse ... yum!

And by the way? They not savoury ... but they're not sweet either.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Oh! my Mom made the BEST[ biscuits in the whole world! and whenever we had them for dinner , Dad would request the strawberry jam, and we would polish off any remaining for dessert!

I'll post the recipe tonight, if anyone wants it...