"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile What are Lemon zest and Crystallized ginger? (merged)

Hi, I want to make Gingerbread cupcakes in my new vegan recipes book. I'm a little confused thought, I never heard of these ingredients before Lemon zest and Crystallized ginger. Now my one of my family members told me that lemon zest is just taking the lemon skin and grinding it but i wanted to get around that and find a powder. I've looked in superstore, sobeys , bulk barn maybe i'm looking in the wrong section but i can't seem to find what i'm looking for . Can you please Help me that would be great

Old 12-20-2006, 03:57 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

xD got alot of view but no one can help me eh?

Old 12-20-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

At eBay

Hello ILovePinkHair and Greetings from Denmark,

You can get lemon zest powder at eBay.

So it must be possible for you to make a search for it at a store near you.

That is all I can help you with - hope it was useful anyway.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:26 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

:) It's helpfull thanks <3
Old 12-20-2006, 04:29 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Lemon zest is just grated lemon rind. You won't find a powder, because as far as I know, one doesn't exist. It only takes a minute to grate some lemon rind on your cheese grater, or a lemon zester if you have one.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:36 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

O.o so you just grate the lemon skin that's it ? do you have to peel off the skin or just leave it on ?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Sous Chef

It is MUCH easier to just do sort of what your family suggested. Get a lemon and with a grater take just the yellow layer of the lemon off--NOT the white pith underneath.
Crystallized ginger should be in the spice aisle with Spice Islands, etc. As a matter of fact, so should dry lemon or orange zest which would be OK also.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I agree that fresh lemon zest is best, but you should be able to find dried lemon peel in the spice aisle. If not, you can buy it at Penzey's PENZEYS Spices Home Page.

But if you have a grater, make your own! It's so much better.
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
Master Chef

Technically - zest is the outer skin of citrus fruits- the pith is the bitter white part under it - between the skin and the fruit. This zest contains volatile oils (flavors) which are lost when dried - so fresh is really best, and probably also cheaper.

You can remove the zest in several ways - with a pairing knife or potato peeler (wide strips), a zester (thin strips), a micro-plane grater or a regular box grater (minced). It depends on what you have and the texture you want. Of course you can always use a pairing knife or potato peeler to get wide strips and then cut them into thin strips and mince them ... this page will show you the methods to remove the zest. Here is a video on How to Zest that might help - just scroll down the page and click on Zest Citrus.

If I want minced zest - I usually use the plastic wrap on the box grater method ... when done just peel the plastic wrap off and scrape the zest off.

Here is an explanation of Crystallized Ginger and some substitutes.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
Head Chef

I use powdered lemon rind and orange rind all the time. It's right there on the spice rack. According to some, oranges are actually yellow until they are commerically colored orange (?). Lemons and limes may also have been colored for a brighter glow. Is the zest "zest" or are we scraping off something else? One would think that after they gas the bananas that they would no longer turn brown...guess not!
An older person told me that she boils her apple peels, strains, and cans the apple stuff. I wonder about that wax that probably melted off; does it just float to the top and seal the jar?
Lemon gras has become very popular all of a sudden. I wonder where it came from. I know it's not knew. They probably used it in lemon pledge before we started using it in the kitchen.