"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
Executive Chef
I guess I use a combination of searing, poaching and braising?

Beats me, but you can cut them with a fork.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #12
Head Chef
I pound out my boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make them more uniformly thick (not thin), season them well, then I crank up either my George Forman grill or my panini maker to the highest heat, and grill them for 5 minutes. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Master Chef
Coq Au Vin means "Rooster with Wine." It was a technique invented to cook rooster, which is tougher and has more connective tissue than a young chicken.

That's why many recipes for Coq Au Vin suggest using an old bird or mostly dark meat, like legs and thighs (dark meat stands up to longer cooking.) In this case, Julia's recipe uses a whole cut up chicken with skin on. Skin helps prevent drying out. Also, she specifically says to take the pieces that cook first out (the breast, presumably) and leave the other parts in to cook.

Chicken breasts have very little fat and are naturally tender. Braising isn't a good technique for cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but it works for other kinds of chicken when done carefully.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I pound my boneless, skinless chicken breasts to a uniform thickness, marinate them for a couple of hours, then I flour, egg, and bread (or sometimes nut) them, and saute them gently until cooked through. They are always tender and juicy because the breading (or nutting) holds in the mositure. Try this recipe. You'll love it!

4 chicken breasts, pounded to a uniform thickness
1/2 pkg Mee Krob or bihon (rice noodles)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced onion
1 tsp crushed chili peppers
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp salt
1Tbs corn starch dissolved in 2 Tbs water

1 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cups finely crushed cashews

1 bunch scallions
1 mango, shredded
1 red bell pepper, julienned

Combine orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, peanut oil, oyster sauce, brown sugar, white pepper, garlic, onion, chili peppers, minced ginger, and salt in bowl and marinate pounded chicken breasts for 2 hours. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Reserve marinade.

Place rice noodles in strainer inside bowl and fill bowl with boiling water. Pour marinade into pot, add cornstarch mixture, and heat in saucepan until thickened.. Dredge chicken in flour, egg mixture, then crushed cashews. Saute coated chicken in 4 Tbs peanut oil over medium heat until done, turning once. Remove strainer from bowl to drain noodles, then divide on 4 individual plates. Place one chicken breast on each bed of rice noodles. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with mango, scallion, and bell pepper.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #15
Head Chef
A tip for grilling...

About halfway through, wrap them in foil, perhaps with a pat of
butter or flavorings.

Hot for searing and browning, then low and slow is the way to
go! :)
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #16
Cutting the chicken breasts (if boneless) into strips and tossing them into a broth or soup makes them amazingly tender. If it's on the bone, cut away the chicken far from the bone, put it with a broth or soup and the meat near the bone, don't muddle with it, just put it in as is. Slow cook it for several hours on a very low heat. At the end, strain the soup and serve the chicken seperately. Put the meat the was on the bone on a plate, along with the cut off meat and pour some of the liquid onto it to give it more moisture.

If you don't want to make a soup or broth everytime you want to make chicken, you can grill it and make cross hatches. If there's fat on the chicken, leave it, it'll get melted off. If there's very little fat on one piece, get some fat and roll the chicken in it and bake it.
llvllagical_llkook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:14 AM   #17

I guess I MUST be overcooking them, although I try really hard not to, in fact the last ones I thought might still be pink in the middle, they were still dry. I want to try the brining for these, can someone give me a good ratio of salt to water and what other things to add? Thanks for all your replies.
sunnysmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 AM   #18
Sous Chef
165F internal temp = juicy chicken breasts.
170F+ gets you tough and dry.
Use a thermometer -
Nick ~ "Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators." - MacGyver
Nicholas Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
Pan frying also yields tender meat as long as you don't overcook it :p

Take a piece of chicken breast, remove the bone and skin, and then season and coat in flour. Heat oil or ghee (clarified butter) until around smoking point, and place the chicken into the pan. It's important the oil be hot when you put the chicken in, so it'll seal the meat and stop it sticking to the pan. Keep the heat high, and turn the breast over once, to give it a nice golden-brown color on both sides. When both sides are colored, turn the heat down and cook till done, flipping occasionally.

As for the difference between braising and stewing, I was taught that stewing was cooking food while fully immersed in a liquid (with exceptions) and braising was cooking food in minimal liquid.
Zzinged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #20
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Any cooking method can get you tender juicy breasts; like everyone said, just don't overdo it. You could certainly braise it, or grill it, poach it, what have you. The important thing is that there is a moment when your chicken will be perfectly juicy and tender, and any time spent cooking after that is too much.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote