What do restaurants use to grill their food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfol

Assistant Cook
What kind of equipment do restaurants normally use to grill their food?

I'm talking about like grilled chicken teriyaki, korean bbq chicken/beef, and etc..

What do these restaurants use?

And what can I use at home to replicate their delicious flavors?

Oh, come on, be a leeeetle bit more helpful. I mean I love bulgogi and kal bi and yakatori, and the only way I can get those flavors is a small grill, charcoal, outside. Yes, I know there are die hards who would do it at ten below in a blizzard. I'm not one. But I also know that the restaurants I've been to aren't doing it outside over charcoal either. I'm assuming a gas grill that gets to high temperatures.

Oh, come on, be a leeeetle bit more helpful.

Oh, OK. ;)

If it were me, I'd look toward the BBQ restaurant world that uses wood fired grills. The sauce defines whether it's American BBQ or Oriental BBQ, but the cooking process is pretty much the same. As Claire said, items such as yakitori depend upon charcoal brickettes, but whole chickens generally need wood reduced to very hot embers, or wood smoke pumped into a gas BBQ oven.

Attempting to duplicate this kind of cooking at home, I would pick the brains of some of DC's charcoal and wood burning grillers, and look for a quality outdoor grill.

The flavor that many people, such as yourself, are searching for is the aroma of the smoke from the fire that sticks to the food. Different types of charcoal and wood give different flavors, so more research may be in order.

surfol said:
What do these restaurants use?

And what can I use at home to replicate their delicious flavors?

As stated...Large Charcoal/Wood burning or gas fired grills...They also have very large, powerful vent hoods with fire suppression systems to take the smoke and gases to the outside. Kinda hard to replicate that in a normal home kitchen...However outside in the back yard is a different story...A good quality charcoal grill such as the 22.5 in. Weber Kettle is an excellent choice for a grilling platform for the home cook..It also can (with practice) serve as a respectable "smoker" for ribs, pork butts, etc. --- One can burn Charcoal briquettes, lump charcoal, or either wood that has been reduced to hot coals/embers....Wood chunks from various species of trees can be used to produce smoke if needed. ~~ HTH

There are two ways on how to grill those bbq in the restaurant. 1, electric grill and the second is the natural charcoal or wooden fire. The taste will vary in the recipe of the restaurant. :)

i'm not sure about the extended 'burbs and rural areas, but there are extremely few restaurants left in this country in or near major cities that use wood or charcoal fired grills because of the air pollution regulations.

many restaurants use gas grills, or a high powered gas broiler called a salamander.

I generally throw a stick of cherry wood (about 2" diameter) on my outdoor gas grill. It puts off a little wood smoke, and most of the time doesn't catch on fire. :)

Mostly, however, the actual cooking time for your meal is very short. Unless they have to roast, braise or cook a large piece of meat for 20 minutes, there is plenty of time for actual cooking. Most of the time that food goes in is in prep, and it all ends before the first guest arrives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom