What do you call an egg dish...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrémeBrulée

Assistant Cook
...that if fried would be an omelet with filling, except it's poured into a casserole dish (no pie crust) and baked in an oven? Baked omelette, or what? I know I've heard a term for this type of dish, but I can't remember it.

Maybe a frittata? Some of these are started on the stove and finished in the oven. No crust, but contains veggies, etc.

I think you're right- fritatta.

Potato and Onion Fritatta

8-10 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk or butter milk
3 large potatoes, cleaned and slice
2 large onions, chopped
Rosemary, salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup or more shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
Olive oil and/or butter

The basic approach: saute the onions and potatoes until they have some brown on them. (If you are making this in huge amounts, you can steam the potatoes instead.) Season with some rosemary, preferably fresh, but dried will do, and some salt and pepper.
*This can be done the night before.*

In a large, preferably cast iron, pan, heat olive oil and/or butter. Don't skimp. No one will confuse this for a low fat dish anyway. Then add beaten egg/milk mixture. (I find that the buttermilk gives a particularly good texture, but any sort of milk is not at all traditional in this dish.) When it begins to set, add the potato and onion mixture and cook on the top of the stove until fully set. Then top with cheese and brown under the broiler for 30-90 second. (Alternatively: make the dish in shallow ceramic
bakers. Heat oil/butter, add egg and let it set briefly. Then
add the other mixture and bake -- perhaps 15 minutes, but keep an eye on it -- at 350 degrees F. Top with cheese and broil as above.) I think the dish is even better when made on the stove, but I often use the oven approach if I'm making several and don't have time to attend to them.

I guess I could call it a crustless quiche or baked omelet (I'm submitting a recipe to a cookbook, and they want a name that indicates what kind of dish it is - personally I wanted to call it "Eggs a la my name), but I'm sure I saw a term for this kind of dish somewhere.

Well duh!! I didn't even read the part about no crust. Sorry :eek:)
I'm glad that other people know what food is in here.

CremeBrulèe, the egg dish you are talking about is Spanish Tortilla. In Spain Tortilla doesn't mean the flat bread that is used in Mexican recipes, but this kind of oven baked thick omelette. Fritatta is a similar dish but they are usually cooked in a skillet. When I lived in Spain Tortillas con patatas was one of my favourite tapas.
Nowadays I usually cook fritatta and I don't have a recipe with me but I took a quick look on the net and this is an example of this recipe.

http://members.macconnect.com/users/j/jimbob/liebe/tortilla.htmlhttp://www.cyberspain.com/friends/tortilla.htm

With the ones I used to have in Andalucia, the potatoes were usually diced in small cubes, don't remember any flavour of sage in it but also had cheese in it... but like many local specialties every household has their own recipes and each of them insist they are THE correct ones, I think there are plenty of room to modify the recipe to your liking...

Last edited:
Anyway CremeBrulèe welcome to this site!! I hope you will have lots of fun with us... I see you are from Rejkjavik, can you introduce us to some Icelandic specialties in a separate thread???

Back
Top Bottom