"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-08-2015, 12:04 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Totally off topic, but I'd like to see a cooking show where the cook uses every day, cheap utensils like most people own. Not the expensive, top of the line stuff. I think a lot of these shows end up intimidating most people because they feel they couldn't accomplish some dishes because they lack the cool equipment. Show me a cook who roasts something on a cookie sheet, or flimsy pizza pan. Let's see somebody cook a perfect meal in a small apartment sized oven or Black and Decker toaster oven, like many regular fold own....

Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Totally off topic, but I'd like to see a cooking show where the cook uses every day, cheap utensils like most people own. Not the expensive, top of the line stuff. I think a lot of these shows end up intimidating most people because they feel they couldn't accomplish some dishes because they lack the cool equipment. Show me a cook who roasts something on a cookie sheet, or flimsy pizza pan. Let's see somebody cook a perfect meal in a small apartment sized oven or Black and Decker toaster oven, like many regular fold own....
I actually like this idea a lot. This ought to be the the theme if they ever do another "Next Food Network Star" show. Forget the commercial kitchen look and do their cooking like us home folks do it.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:30 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I enjoy the back and forth conversations, debates and how to improve various recipes or simply reinforce various theories and recipes as found here on DC. DC'ers most often readily provide explanations such as why doesn't my bread rise and why does my cake batter overflow the pan type of things etc. based on our own knowledge and experiences. The recent discussion regarding prolonged crocked pot cooking red sauce and flavor loss is a good example for group discussion. I think anyone who read this hopefully came away learning something.

If the Chief is looking to expand on this in another way, I kind of liked, for example, the treatise he started a year or so ago on Mother Sauces. I learned a lot about them, not having looked further than a specific sauce recipe previous. I did a lot of studying and comparing, both in cookbooks and on the 'net before and during the discussion. And hopefully I was able to contribute a little to the discussion about what I learned and I Made several sauces as I identified them too.

I think I would like to see more technical / analytical info offered along side various ways how to cook something as well as accompanying recipes.

I am pretty sure there are explanations out there to be found already about How much salt to add to how much leavening agent, or perhaps it's per how many eggs and leavening or when to use baking soda vs baking powder. I forget the details, but it's readily available. Whether you write about this or not, I will Still Forget and have to look it up untll it's drilled into me or a Really Memorable Example is provided and drilled into me. OR I could just use a written recipe and follow the directions and think no further about it. That is not always good enough.

So I guess what I would like to see is what or how you make some things Better, or why making something differently Improves the plan.

Oh, and while you are at it, please explain theories behind why Mom's apple pie, or anything Mom made, is always Best, even if you have the exact recipe written in Mom's hand writing. You know you have to have fun too.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:12 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'd like to see a lot less cooking contests. You don't learn anything from them, and learning something new is why I pay extra to get those channels.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
I agree, I think that is a great idea.

It always make me laugh when friends and family leave the well equipped luxury kitchen at home and venture out to the vacation cabin or ocean condo to spend a couple weeks living the simple life in a kitchen equipped with only the most basic equipment. They almost always have more fun improvising and using what is on hand than they seem to have at home.

People also think in terms of the starving student just starting to set up an apartment or home kitchen. I'm on the other end of the spectrum with reducing my possessions and adjusting to life in smaller quarters. I'm all for improvising and adapting to dollar store kitchen equipment and ingredients! If you approach it with the right attitude and a bottle of good booze it can be a lot of fun!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't know if Walmart or the DollarStore would sponsor a cooking show...I suspect that neither of us have a gourmet kitchen, Rock. But, we do like to use quality ingredients. I do have nice pans (thanks, Mom), but I don't have those fancy dancy things you see on TV. OMG, could I please have that fridge/stove/oven???!!! Not in this lifetime. Maybe if I'd put those things in my bridal registry a gazillion years ago. I scour the thrift stores, yard sales, auctions for the things I wish I had, and they are stored in the basement.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Another thing I'd like to see less of on cooking shows is guests. Too often the guest is someone the host knows well and have much in common so that they spend their time talking to each other and ignoring the viewer.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #18
Head Chef

What do I want to see , where ? On a blog , on a website , or on the telly ?

I want different things depending where I am looking to be honest . On a blog or website , I like photos and sharing recipes from all over the world , I like it to be easy to access or to file recipes . I like photos of people's dinner :-)

On the telly here we are pretty saturated with cooking shows but I have to say there is a great choice . Watching a programme currently about going back to look at at how families ate through the decades , fascinating to see the food , the lifestyles and the kitchens through the years .
Old 04-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I'm pretty sure he's saying that he writes a blog, and he wants to know what you would like to see on his blog.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I got a call from the courthouse at three in the afternoon. Could I take custody of my daughter's oldest child. I was living with my daughter at the time helping her out while she was separated from her husband. I went down to get my granddaughter. Found an apartment real quick. What money I had left over, we headed for the thrift shop. My daughter went and picked up her bed. I bought one saucepan, two plates, two of each, forks, knifes and spoons. And then did a quick stop for food. You would be surprised at the meals I was able to put together for the two of us. Each week, I would add to the household items. Mainly for the kitchen. Yard sales became a favorite shopping place for me. By the time she graduated from high school, I had a complete home and kitchen. That one little saucepan got more washing and served us well. I fried, boiled and even baked in it. I could only make poached egg as it was a while before I found an egg turner. Toast and bacon was made under the broiler. You can make do when you have to.