"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Master Chef

What do you want to see?

I have another avenue that I often take to give out info about all things food. Now I don't know if this post is allowed, I certainly gain nothing but the opportunity to share information, and some good technique and recipes. So, if you were going to go down my other road, what would you want to see, what recipes, or techniques. What would pique your interest. I'd love to know so that I can share what people want to see.

Mods, if this post is not allowed, let me know, and delete this. My feelings won't be hurt. I'm just sorta testing the waters, trying to get more info.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 AM   #2
Master Chef

For me it is always about doing the best you can with what you have and not be limited by your surroundings or circumstances!

I have always been fascinated by home cooks that can take a few very basic, inexpensive ingredients and use them to create a variety of nourishing meals. If you can set a nice table for the people you love during tough times you can certainly do it when times are good!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:36 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I think how-tos for new cooks and I'd love to see anything posted to tickle our taste buds and tried and true recipes.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:13 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm really happy with DC. I'm always finding inspiration for new ideas to make really good meals, and keep up with what's going on in the lives of my online friends here.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I like to know "restaurant tricks". What do the guys/gals do behind the swinging doors?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
I like to know "restaurant tricks". What do the guys/gals do behind the swinging doors?
Are you sure????
LOL
If every restaurant patron really knew all that goes on behind the swinging doors the restaurant industry would be smaller.
The range from stupefyingly horrific to stunningly spotless would amaze some.
I used to deliver live fish to some restaurants through the back door.
One restaurant used to 'cool' the steamed rice in 5 gal tubs outside uncovered.
What the 'blue-bottle' flies didn't lay their eggs on the cats and dogs would get a few mouthfuls before someone cased them off.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Are you sure????
LOL
If every restaurant patron really knew all that goes on behind the swinging doors the restaurant industry would be smaller.
The range from stupefyingly horrific to stunningly spotless would amaze some.
I used to deliver live fish to some restaurants through the back door.
One restaurant used to 'cool' the steamed rice in 5 gal tubs outside uncovered.
What the 'blue-bottle' flies didn't lay their eggs on the cats and dogs would get a few mouthfuls before someone cased them off.
Many years ago, the son of a neighbour was a chef in a very up-market hotel in London(think Claridges, The Ritz, etc., but not either of those). His conditions of service included all meals while he was on shift. He ate off site every day as did the other chefs in that hotel!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I know some gross things happen. Have you ever been to a slaughter house? I am looking more of the tricks of the trade.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Crouton bin on lower shelf of a prep table, no lid on it, and a mouse trap underneath it. Mentioned this to the Executive Chef--told it was none of my business, exterminators came in regularly (I threw the croutons out and got fired for that). Sous Chef rubbing his nose when he had a cold with his hand and then mixing up a huge bowl of pasta salad without washing his hands or putting on gloves. Meat stored above produce dripping...workers just rinse it off and shake it...or don't rinse it off at all. People cheating on temp charts for products in a salad table, fridge, etc. You really don't want to know. I prefer to eat at home, and yes, I have a thermometer in my fridge, freezer, and oven. Yes, I wear gloves in my kitchen. And yes, even when prepping the food for a photo shoot, I wear a hair net, gloves, and make sure I practice safe food handling practices.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I lived in Chicago for a few years when I was a kid and went on a field trip to a slaughterhouse. Thankful we have a friend or a 4H kid who raises our meat and a local meat cutter with a spotless shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
So, if you were going to go down my other road, what would you want to see, what recipes, or techniques.
I'd like to see tried and true recipes and cool shortcuts. And pantry food made exotic....always like to see new ideas. Cooking here is often like a Chopped episode, lol.