"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 12-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
What does it mean to cream together?

I was looking at a cookie recipe and it says to cream together a couple of the ingredients.

Thanks.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It means to beat them together in the same bowl. Typically butter or cream cheese with sugar. Bring the butter or CC to room temp and beat them with a hand or stand mixer wutil well blended and smooth.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Andy explained it pretty well. Just blend/beat them well to make an even, homogeneous texture without lumps and blots.
For cookies though, I usually cut the butter just out of the fridge into small cubes, and rub each cubes into the flour with my fingers, until the mixture attain a bread crumb like texture, then beat it together with sugar and egg.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Andy explained it pretty well. Just blend/beat them well to make an even, homogeneous texture without lumps and blots.
For cookies though, I usually cut the butter just out of the fridge into small cubes, and rub each cubes into the flour with my fingers, until the mixture attain a bread crumb like texture, then beat it together with sugar and egg.
That is a neat technique Licia, it makes me think more towards making pastry...I've never thought to do that with cookie batter too. I usually just cream my fats and sugars (and eggs, if applicable) and add them to the dry ingredients. How do you find that your cookies turn out when you make them with this method?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes, I realised one of the most popular Italian pastry dough, "Pasta Frolla" is almost identical to shortbread biscuits. So I experimented with this method with cookies, and they came out perfectly
Old 12-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Yes, I realised one of the most popular Italian pastry dough, "Pasta Frolla" is almost identical to shortbread biscuits. So I experimented with this method with cookies, and they came out perfectly
Very cool! I will have to give that a try with my future short bread cookie endeavors

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Does it make them better or do they turn out the same either way?

Do you think it will work with regular types of cookies - like sugar?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Senior Cook

From a couple of different glossaries:

Cream
- To blend or beat to the soft and smooth consistency of cream. Usually applied to fat and sugar.

Cream Together
To beat fat (usually butter) and sugar (usually granulated sugar) to form a pale and fluffy mixture which resembles whipped cream in texture and color. This mixture is used as a basis for a wide variety of cake, biscuit and pudding recipes.

Cream Beat together two or more ingredients, such as butter and sugar, until mixture has a smooth uniform consistency.

CREAM TOGETHER
“Cream together” means to beat one or more ingredients, usually butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Electric or hand held beaters, or a whisk can be used.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:21 AM   #9
Master Chef

in Germany we say " beat until foamy"
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
daisy, thanks so much!

cara - makes it a lot easier, lol