What does "one cup" mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Measuring

jkath said:
measuring%20cups%20spoons.JPG

Get yourself some of these - they have the measures printed right on them.

I wanted to post this response as a Poll but couldn't find out how.
These are a beautiful set of measuring tools!

I would like to know:
How many people use the measuring tools as they are designed to be used?
I.E. Strike off the measured item level with the top of the tool?

Every time--

Most of the time--

Some times--

Never--

If a little spells over that's O.K.--

If it not quite level that's O.K.--

Enjoy,

Charlie:

Depends on what I'm cooking. For most recipes (other than baking) measurements don't have to be exact, so close to a cup or tablespoon, etc. works.

For baking, I'm more precise.

Andy M. said:
Charlie:

Depends on what I'm cooking. For most recipes (other than baking) measurements don't have to be exact, so close to a cup or tablespoon, etc. works.

For baking, I'm more precise.

Ditto for me too.

Me three. It bugs Mom to death that I'm not more exact when I cook. I'm getting used to leveling off the stuff when baking, but regular cooking....it's tough! :)

For "cookery" I just wing it and "approximate" for the most part ... more especially herbs and spices which can lose potency during storage so a little "tweak" here and there might be necessary.

In baking I tend to follow the recipe - measurements, time and temp.

Hungry said:
I wish someone would tell the coffee pot makers that there are 8 oz. in a cup.

Charlie

LOL - guess it depends on the size of your coffee cup! I've got one that is 12-oz, and another one that is probably 16-oz! Oh, wait - those are mugs ... a cup can be either 8 or 10 oz.

...and if you're a coffee pot maker, a "cup" is somewhere around 5 fluid ounces. That's how they get 12 cups into such a small container.

oh Poutine, your charts very useful. ill print that off thankyou. Ive always wondered how much a "cup" was.

Last edited:
1 cup = 236.5882 cc = .2365882 Litres = 0.5 pints in the US = 0.4163373 pints in the UK

I think it has something to do with the rotation of the Earth or the density of water as it approaches 0 degrees Celsius or something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom