What is a "Foodie?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would define foodie as: Someone who is passionate about food. To take it a step further, I would say you are a foodie if and only if you think you are a foodie.

The exterior of an artichoke does look strange, but you don't eat that anyway. There is a bit of the leaves that you can scrape off and eat, but the prize is the heart. When you are at a restaurant you can see if they have anything with artichoke in it and you can try it. If you don't then just push it to the side. I love it though!

OH, I didn't realize that you don't eat that part... :ROFLMAO:
Hmm, I'm sure I will try it at some point... I always said I wouldn't have eggplant, until I tried baba ganoush for the first time.. :angel: Now I currently have an eggplant sitting in my fridge, waiting for me to baba ganoush-afy it.

When our kids were small they loved artichokes...thought it was so much fun to pull the almost-outer leaves off, dip the torn part through their teeth, and so on until they got to the heart. Then they'd walk away, thinking they were done...so, Mom would "clean up" the rest!:LOL: Our son is quite the cook now (you could call him a "foodie";)) and knows that the heart is the best part. Either he doesn't remember not getting that part as a kid or he just hasn't brought it up to chide me.

Your Foodie membership card has already been retrieved from your possession via teleportation. If you look for it now you will see it is not there. Go look, I'll wait.

See.

Here is the first of many different definitions you will see.

A foodie is someone to whom food is an interest beyond just eating three meals a day. A foodie enjoys learning about food, reading cookbooks and recipes, planning, selecting, preparing and serving food to others.

Food is a foodie's hobby.

As usual, when Andy speaks, Goodweed agrees. I do have something to add though. IMHO, if you still enjoy cooking and creating good food, in spite of having less than perfect ingredients and tools, then you are a true foodie, as the quality of the end dish is more important to you than are the trappings around you. I would think that a true foodie could make a wonderful meal with inexpensive substitutions, using whatever tools are available. It means that the individual has enough cooking knowledge to improvise, and solve problems. My hat's off to you, and anyone else who tries to do their best with what's available. If you can make a gourmet meal from a willow branch, some sticks to light on fire, and a couple of hot dogs, then you are a foodie. If you can also make some kind of bisuit or bredlike thing to put that hot dog on from flour, water, salt, baking powder, and that same stick and fire, then you are a force to be reckoned with, and a foodie extraordinaire.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North.

some people dip into melted butter. i prefer mayo, hollandaise would be good.

personally im not a big fan of mayo.

i dont understand how some people use it instead of butter.
example : i orderd a grilled cheese ... they asked if i wanted butter or mayo on it.
who puts mayo on a grilled cheese :ohmy:, thats just disturbing ...

example : i orderd a grilled cheese ... they asked if i wanted butter or mayo on it.

While I wouldn't put mayonnaise on a grilled cheese sandwich, I also wouldn't make tuna salad with butter. I do love mayonnaise and have used it on a lot of things. Of course, it has to be Hellmans.

Growing up I never knew anything other than grilled cheese with butter. Then when I got married the first time my wife asked if I wanted my grilled cheese with MW or without. I said "what?" I tried it and like it better with the MW. That might gross some people out, but I don't care. I also like chili with beans.:ROFLMAO:

When we moved here from OH I couldn't believe it when some of the natives ask for a side of mayo...for their French fries!:huh: That's like....putting grease on grease!

When we moved here from OH I couldn't believe it when some of the natives ask for a side of mayo...for their French fries!:huh: That's like....putting grease on grease!

CG, you should try it! Hot crispy french fries dipped in some mayo! Heaven.

...and what's wrong with grease on grease!?

When I was in a band many many years ago we always met over at the drummer's house. His mom would cook for us while we did our thing. FIrst time she made grilled cheese.. butter on the outside and Miracle Whip on the inside, and she wasn't stingy with any of it.

I prefer not to have Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise on mine.

As a kid, my Mom only ever kept Miracle Whip on hand so I thought I hated mayonnaise. on occasion, I would go to other people's houses and wonder why the mayonnaise tasted so much better there. I hate Miracle Whip!

Fries + mayonnaise = yum
For grilled cheese (when I ate it), I would only use butter or margarine. Mayo on grilled cheese would just seem wrong!

Now, I use an eggless mayonnaise called Vegenaise, which is very close in taste to Hellman's. Vegenaise actually tastes so much like mayonnaise, I almost think restaurants could replace their mayo with it and nobody would notice. My guess is that it would not be cost-effective though, which is too bad.

CG, you should try it! Hot crispy french fries dipped in some mayo! Heaven.

...and what's wrong with grease on grease!?
Oh I tried it! Hence my "grease on grease" comment!:ROFLMAO: I don't like the mouth-feel of greasy food - even to the point of preferring wild salmon to farm raised. I know the Omega-3 oil is good for me but......

A foodie is someone to whom food is an interest beyond just eating three meals a day. A foodie enjoys learning about food, reading cookbooks and recipes, planning, selecting, preparing and serving food to others.

Food is a foodie's hobby.

Bingo

Back
Top Bottom